starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Audit - Tight Hamstrings?

Default Squat Form Audit - Tight Hamstrings?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach,

Long time lurker w/ SS DVD, SS + PP (2nd ed). Want to say thank you for the solid instruction you've provided.

Moving up in the Novice program I decided to audit my squat form because I felt I have the mental image the squat you illustrate in SS fig 2-46.

Reviewing the video I think my knees may be sliding forward too much and I noticed one possible cause for this you mentioned was tight hamstrings. I have very tight hamstrings (occasionally need to stretch them in the middle of the day) and I have been trying additional stretching / straight leg deadlifts to loosen them up.

You mentioned that tight-hamstrings can throw the knees forward in SS; so with that in mind I was wondering:

a. Do my knees appear to be going to far forward / other form errors below?
    b. If so, do you have any suggestions for loosening tight hamstrings aside from stretching?

Thank you
    Ryan

Also - since this is my first actual post and I have no history here I've attached an image of the books / dvd so you know I'm not BSing and take this seriously.

The books and DVD have been underutilized. The bar is in the wrong position, you are 3" high, there is no hip drive, your eye gaze direction is not as we teach, your knees are forward and not out, and we don't train in Capri pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The books and DVD have been underutilized. The bar is in the wrong position, you are 3" high, there is no hip drive, your eye gaze direction is not as we teach, your knees are forward and not out, and we don't train in Capri pants.
    Other than that, they look perfect

Thank you very much Coach. Will review your resources and correct my errors.

I'm not sure what the Capri pants reference is except possiblly that my knee wraps look like part of the shorts at first glance.

Thank you again,
    Ryan

Two suggestions:

1. It's hard to tell, but I think your heels could be narrower and your toes more pointed out. Shove your knees out over your toes.

2. Learn to squat before applying knee wraps.

Get some real lifting shoes and carry the bar lower. Then you'll realize your hamstrings aren't tight after all.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Other than that, they look perfect
    <3

I believe "Read the book" is all the advice that is necessary in this instance. Since it actually bears only a very vague resemblance to an actual LBBS.