starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Starting Strength, ensuing knee pain

Default Starting Starting Strength, ensuing knee pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Hello,

I'm a 21-year-old just starting strength-training that's trying to ascertain whether I should be squatting at all. I have never had any knee pain before. However, my left knee does make a crunching sound if I sit into squats as deep as I can (maximum flexion).This does not cause any pain, and according to a physio I spoke to, is unharmful and common in many people. I.e. when in below parallell squats that Starting Strength teaches, there is no noise. I'm not sure what causes the noise, maybe some calcium deposits or other structural changes. Would need an MRI to confirm (?).

It'd be strange, at least unusual, if a normal, healthy 21-year-old who's not been active in any knee-intensive sport should be unable to squat. At least that is my opinion.

I did however get some knee pain three days after my first squatting session (with the bar only). My delayed-onset muscle soreness was still pretty severe at the time. The pain was about a 5 in intensity, and present in both knees.

I spoke to a PT about it, and he said it's common to experience some pain after the first couple of sessions, especially if your life has been very sedentary up until then.
    His hypothesis was that my the pain must be viewed in connection with a general lack of strength in the legs and knees. Could also be bullshit.

This may be valid - also I think my form wasn't super on the first session - but would like to request some feedback to not heighten my risk of injury. On session two, just a few days ago, the same pain ensued some hours after the session. I have NO pain during squats.

Is this a non-issue since I am just beginning training, you think? Should I just push through the pain (which anyway sets in AFTER squats), and reconsider if it does not subside within a set time period? It's not a stabbing mind, just soreness and aching beyond regular DOMS remains after my legs' DOMS has subsided.

Also I have one relevant question pertaining to knees: Knees "locking out" - By this one means standing with normal upright posture, with no bend in the knees, while maintaining a tense body?

Thanks for any and all answers. I figured it'd be best to make a thread about it, lest I cause damage. Life is long, and I would like to keep my knees healthy.

It is much more likely that you squatted wrong than your having degenerative knee changes at 21. Read the book, watch the DVD, and copy what you see. And locking the knees out just means standing up straight.

I've both read the book and watched the DVD.

Today I did some bodyweight squats at home, and that was enough for my right knee to act up within minutes. It probably is just a testament to my poor shape, but still alarming.
    I try shoving my knees out on the way down and up, but experimenting with a variety of this, and also just sitting down while making no conscious shoving of the knees laterally has been fruitless.

Christmas break and lack of gym will give me some time to recover, foam-roll like and stretch like hell and re-read and re-watch.
    Bad form aside, it shouldn't start being painful with no weights at all..

No, it shouldn't, and done correctly it's not.