starting strength gym

Thread: How best to wrap ribs?

Default How best to wrap ribs?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip, the other day doing some powershrugs I set the bar down after a rep unevely and I think I have strained an intercostal muscle in my back. Anywho, what's the best way to wrap my ribs? and how long do these things usually take to heal (it's not too severe)?

Cheers mara.

Josh

Where is the pain, and why would you assume it was an intercostal muscle?

good luck with that, man. i did something to my left side/ribs while i was digging up my lawn in the spring. the pain originated in the back of my ribs and extended around to the front of the ribs towards the ab muscles. it was insane. if i moved the wrong way, i'd almost lose my breath. the pain was way worse if i was sedentary (office job) rather than doing something active. i'd go play basketball, and i'd get no pain, but if i sat with my back against my chair and tried to look down at my crotch (i don't usually stare at my crotch) the pain was intense.

i took some time off at first, but it wasn't helping much. i started lifting again, and it just went away at some point. took a while though.

basically, my advice is don't sit with your back against the chair and stare at your crotch. it's no good for your ribs. and it's creepy.

There is no pain when I'm just standing, walking, not really moving etc. When there is pain is when I breathe very deeply, especially when sitting down or if I twist or lean forward quickly. The pain is located mid back but about 3-4 inches to the right of my spine.

Wrapping ribs is easy. Lay out a sheet of tin foil, lay out some plastic wrap on top of it. Place the ribs on top (after dry rub has sat for 24 hours) and close up the ends of the plastic foil so there is still an opening on top. Pour a few ounces of Jack Daniels into the "bag" of plastic wrap, then about an equal amount of apple juice. Wrap up the ribs completely air tight. Cook at a low temp (200?) for a few hours. Remove ribs from wraps, crank the grill to max and get some char marks on them.

starting strength coach development program
    I think it's spinal. Chiropract it.