starting strength gym

Thread: Dumbell Bench Press

Default Dumbell Bench Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am a novice.... on the program for approx. 6 weeks. Wasted a year on Crossfit before wising up and my gains on all lifts have been excellent for me, with the exception of the bench press.

I have always had a problem with a barbell bench press but am fine with dumbells. For example my 5-rep work sets on the barbell are 150 and my body never feels comfortable... feels like my pec tendons are straining. But I can do sets of 5 with 70 lb dumbells with no problem. I have very long arms, especially my forearms. I weigh approx 175 pounds and am 5' 10"

In your experience are my struggles on the barbell and my relative success with dumbells common for someone with long arms?

And secondly, having then decided to stick with dumbells at least for the time being, weight increases are not as "fast" particularly with the typical 5-pound dumbell increments. Therefore I am alternating my set schems such that I will do 5 reps for 3 sets with a new weight, then on my next bench press day I will do 5x5 at the same weight. When I come back to it I am ready to increase the weight, at least thus far.

Could you please share any thoughts you may have on my long-armedness being a potential problem with the barbell, and also with the scheme I have implemented with the dumbells.

Thank you.

It has not been my experience that long arms have as much to do with failure to progress on the barbell bench press as failure to use the appropriate increments when progressing the load.