starting strength gym

Thread: New to Starting Strength and have a dilemma/question

Default New to Starting Strength and have a dilemma/question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark,

I just finished “Starting Strength” a few weeks ago and began the program outlined in the book right about the same time. Last week I read Matt’s article on competing which was posted on the site and decided then and there to enter a powerlifting event. There is one in my town in early April that I am signing up for. This will be my first PL competition.

Here is my dilemma and question: Prior to beginning the SS program I participated in a GPP/Crossfit style program for the last 15 months or so. Therefore, I know I fall into the novice category when it comes to barbell training and SS is the right program for me. Having said that, I met up with some lifters who are training for the same powerlifting meet in April and they invited me to join them. They have all competed in PL events in the past and their program primarily consists of doing one of the three lifts once per week on three separate days spending 1.5 to 2 hours on the single lift. I train at home in my garage so I see a value to meeting up with these guys and lifting – being pushed, etc. At the same time, doing squats, deads and/or BP once a week (even if it is for 2 hours) isn’t going to be enough based on what you talk about in SS. My gut says to stay with the SS program exclusively, enter the meet and see how I do but I wanted to get your thoughts on whether I should attempt to try and do both the SS and the weekly single lift days with these guys or some combination of the two.

I am 6’0, 205 lbs male in my mid 40s.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jon

Unless peer-pressure is still a concern at 42, I'd just tell these guys that you're doing your own program and that to interrupt it will lower your total at the meet, so you think you'll just stick with it until a different meet preparation sequence is appropriate.

Nope, peer pressure hasn't been an issue for some time now. I appreciate the advice. Jon

I didn't imagine it had been. Enjoy your meet.