starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split snatches for sports training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I hope you understand the difference in the reason for the two different foot positions. In MA, you are preparing to transfer force forward, whereas holding a jerk overhead directs the force upward.

Something worth giving thought to in this whole discussion is how you planning to "use" the martial art of choice. If you plan to spar and compete that's one thing. If you are doing the martial art in preparation for self defense that is quite another. The training and the adjunct exercises, whether they are traditional or use barbells, may make all the difference.

The strength of the leg in delivering a kick is critical, and even more so the strength of the supporting leg holding the rest of you up. It seems like squats are the order of the day for that kind of kinetic and supporting strength, and I apologize over what may be poor descriptive word choices here, Rip but it's the best I can do with my pea brain. Explosive speed in martial arts, be they in striking or throwing it seems was always better achieved by being able to relax the muscles (especially the antagonists) as much as possible through much of the movement. The last bit before contact is made in a strike, or just when you render your opponent (or attacker) buoyant and free of the ground is when the maximum tension and flexion of the muscle(s) in use should come into play. Otherwise you're just fighting your own internal isometric tension Charles Atlas style. Then of course this has always been easier for me to talk and write about than to actually do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    ...The strength of the leg in delivering a kick is critical, and even more so the strength of the supporting leg holding the rest of you up. It seems like squats are the order of the day for that kind of kinetic and supporting strength

... Explosive speed in martial arts, be they in striking or throwing it seems was always better achieved by being able to relax the muscles (especially the antagonists) as much as possible through much of the movement. The last bit before contact is made in a strike, or just when you render your opponent (or attacker) buoyant and free of the ground is when the maximum tension and flexion of the muscle(s) in use should come into play. Otherwise you're just fighting your own internal isometric tension Charles Atlas style. Then of course this has always been easier for me to talk and write about than to actually do well.
    Thanks, and I agree on both counts; my 2011 goals include moving my squat up to #400, not least to have that strength foundation. And yes, I too struggle with keeping the antagonist muscles relaxed during MA explosive movements, though I know it should happen. I'm far too stiff at this point, fighting myself.

starting strength coach development program
    I have the good fortune of being taught, at long last, by a 10th degree Master and several of his black belts who are 4th - 7th degrees themselves. They let me know every time they see or feel stiffness in my movements. Perhaps you might point this out to your Sensei in the hopes that they will give you the same kind of feedback on a constant basis. It can be frustrating trying to overcome these kind of problems, I know I still struggle with this all the time, but worthwhile to keep at it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12