starting strength gym

Thread: What is the role of the scapula in low bar squat?

Default What is the role of the scapula in low bar squat?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In Starting Strength, it says to place the bar immediately below the shoulder blade bone during the low back squat.

I'm slightly confused...

Is the bar held up and supported by the shoulder blade in the vertical plane? Does the bone actually act as a sort of platform to rest the bar?

Or is the bar supported by mainly the muscles of the shoulder instead, and exerts force horizontally on the scapula?

The spine of the scapula is the attachment point for the muscles upon which the bar sits. The geometry of the contracted muscle bellies provides this "shelf" for the bar, and the scapula is the substructure for the muscles.

So just to clarify..

The bar does not sit on top of the ridge that the scapula creates,,, its below that point?

I wouldn't be asking this, except that my scapula bone feels bruised lately..

I thought I had been clear in the book on pages 20-22. The bar sits on top of the posterior deltoids. If you are getting a bruise the bar is too high by about 1/4".

Recently I noticed the bar travelling upwards (towards the high bar position) during the last rep of a heavy set. Can this be due to my hip rising faster than my shoulders? Or am I mixing up cause and effect and the travelling bar causes the unequal rising? If so, what would cause this shift in position? Problem is that I lose form on this last rep and I am trying to sort out if this is a strength issue (i.e. my lower back is incapable of maintaing the back angle) or due to improper form. Advice (or a reference to a certain passage in SSBBT or your DVD) is highly appreciated!

starting strength coach development program
    Most of the time when the bar shifts up the back, it is being carried a little too high. When you fatigue and your back angle changes a little, the bar slides up, further screwing up the leverage mechanics. Shift it down a little, and make sure to keep your chest up on the last reps.