starting strength gym

Thread: Novice - Stall in progress

Default Novice - Stall in progress

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background info:

• 23 years old
    • Currently a Nursing Student, which equates into me being sleep deprived at times, and nutrition can be just as bad...
    • History of weightlifting (8-9 years) - nothing ever serious though. First 4 years were for high school football where I was taught nothing about form but told to lift heavy. the next 5 years were me following programs that I thought would get me bigger (bodybuilding...)

Anyhow, started Starting Strength in Dec of 2009 and it ended in July of 2010 because of school/life/relocation. My lifts were as follows (all numbers are listed in terms of pounds and 5RM)

Bodyweight: 190 ---> 220
    Squat: 185 --> 315 (form was crap at 315 though)
    Bench (Neglected and substituted for Incline because I'm dumb...)
    Deadlift: 225 ---> 425
    Press: 95 ---> 165

My numbers fluctuated highly during this training period because 1) I didn't read the book completely, 2) I didn't follow the program completely, 3) At some point I was obsessed with losing weight and modified the program accordingly.

Anyway, fastforward into October of 2010, I resumed SS. I read the books, threw out any desires of getting "lean" for the time being, and just dedicated myself to getting strong.

Bodyweight: 230 --> 235
    Squat: 185 --> 330
    Deadlift 225 --> 365
    Bench: 185 ---> 225 (Piercing bicep pain/weakness that I'm trying to workout)
    Press 135 ---> 175

Currently, I find myself still making progress on most of my lifts:

5 lbs on the squat, 10 lbs on the deadlift, and 2-3 lbs on the press. My bench sucks because of the bicep pain mentioned above.

Anyhow, getting more to the point. I've noticed the bar speed has slowed on the deadlift and squat. My training partner (also on SS) has also noticed it's slowed, but the form is sound according to him.

Squat: Chest is up, Hip drive is intact, depth is good. No knees forward at the bottom
    Deadlift: No rounding of the lowerback, No early rise of the hips or chest.

So, noticing that the bar speed has slowed and not wanting to compromise any benefits from keeping the bar speed the same, I reread pages 90-91 in PPST and 107-112 (Speed of Movement, and Back-off Periods). And, I'm at a loss for what to do, Rip.

Should I continue squatting and deadlifting despite the bar-speed being slower? Or should I deload a bit in hopes that the short rest period will provide me with renewed strength?

The bar speed is supposed to slow when the weight gets heavy, you fool. If your form is sound, this just means you're getting strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The bar speed is supposed to slow when the weight gets heavy, you fool. If your form is sound, this just means you're getting strong.
    I thought it was logical that the bar speed would slow down as the weight gets heavier, but I couldn't find it in the book and I wanted affirmation that I was either being stupid or I needed to change something.

Should have a video of my form by tomorrow.

Lightbulb Form Check

This was yesterday. Doing my 3 sets of 5 reps at 335#

Second Set:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n26_K5d11pU

Third Set:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UfZko6lG0

I apologize in advance for the blurriness of the video.

They look fine to me. You are a pig-headed fucker about the shoes, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They look fine to me. You are a pig-headed fucker about the shoes, aren't you?
    Would you believe me if I told you I was a poor college student who was saving up for the shoes? Cause I am =D. Looking to get me the .5" heel shoes from Rogue.

Man, this is not slow. It's actually fast squat if you ask me. Good luck with your training man.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusi View Post
    Man, this is not slow. It's actually fast squat if you ask me. Good luck with your training man.
    When you're under the bar, time seems to be magnified. I felt like I was struggling like hell with those squats. And, I know you can't tell by looking at the video but the bar speed has slowed compared to how fast it was at 285. Regardless, I appreciate the encouragement.

The fact that ello and olivestrip can't afford shoes prove, yet again, the dire financial circumstances in Cali. Get out of there while you're young. Everyone at WFAC has shoes; we do have Wal-Mart after all.

jp

starting strength coach development program
    It isn't always a financial problem. Footwear simply isn't as fashionable in California as it is in Texas. We like to feel the blades of grass and grains of sand between our toes on our way to the gym. Besides, I don't think wearing shoes is paleo.