starting strength gym

Thread: Press - No Absolute Strength

Default Press - No Absolute Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark,

I have an issue that confuses me greatly. Monday I did 51kg 5x5 on the OHP. I am on the Texas Method so today (Friday) is my intensity day, and I tried 57.5kg and couldn't get it past my forehead; went down to 55kg and managed only 3 lifts.
    This is the 2nd week that this has happened. So my absolute strength is roughly the same as my volume strength.

Should I go back to the linear program on the OHP to try to get more volume? I only bench press on the light day (Wed), so the OHP is my main tricep exercise, and I don't like the thought of dips.

Cheers.

How often do you bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How often do you bench?
    Just on the light day (Wed)... after the OHP and SQ. My bench is very poor (long thin arms)... bench PR is 77.5kg 5x3 and right now doing 75kg 5x3. I also do Rack Pulls on the Wed (after the bench) currently 175kg 2x8.

Cheers.

I think you have some recovery issues, and I think you should be alternating bench and press every other workout at this point. Your upper body strength is woeful, and upping your bench work is the logical fix at this point. How many strict chins can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think you have some recovery issues, and I think you should be alternating bench and press every other workout at this point. Your upper body strength is woeful, and upping your bench work is the logical fix at this point. How many strict chins can you do?
    I chin every workout now... Friday I did 6+6+6+5 (fail). Only BW right now but have bought a belt.

Recovery issues does make sense although my squats are progressing nicely/consistently on TM... currently 102.5kg 5x5 Mon, 120kg 10x1 Fri).

I agree upper body is lagging, but if possible, I would prefer to concentrate on the OHP as a) bench always feels very stressful on shoulders, and b) OHP seems more applicable to the sports I play (tennis (obviously), basketball).

Thanks very much.

Sure.

starting strength coach development program
    I would've guessed a form issue with the press. You can get away with a lot of things on a volume day press that won't fly on an intensity day press.