starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Olympic Lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Now you say to do deads every other week. Now how would you program rack pulls/ haltings into this? Would it still be every other week that you would pull or would you just alternate the movements every week?

I would probably do them every week, since they are easier to recover from than deadlifts.

One more semi-oly lifting question: When I do push presses, even if I dip onto the heels, once I heave the bar up I briefly snap onto my toes and then back to flat-foot. Is this alright? Is this essentially the same thing as jumping hard on the clean and getting carried onto the toes?

Same thing, yep.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    I would consider three changes to the above:
    1) Swap days so that you are doing your SS lifts the day BEFORE your Oly lifts, and then
    2) Get rid of front squats to start (for a few weeks) until you see how your back squats are going, and move press to your back squat/deadlift day, therefore giving yourself an extra rest day, OR
    3) Move front squats to one of your Oly days and do them right after your C&Js. Simply start your first triple at a weight slightly higher than your last clean. Still move press to your back squat/deadlift to give yourself the extra rest day.

I say this because I have been doing something similar for the last 2 months based on some of Rip's recommendations. Make linear progression on your squats your priority, and make front squats secondary for a while. It is a lot to recover from and still make progress. I've blown up my low bar squat, and that has caused all of my Oly lifts to go through the roof. I am just now switching to two days of front squats and one day of squats because I can rack more than I can reliably get out of the hole on my cleans (my squat is 220 but my last front squat was only 170).
    Don't you think squatting & benching for sets across the day before snatches & cleans & jerks would make it extremely hard to perform the lifts well? How about squatting & pressing for volume after the O-lifts on the same day since they don't take long to do with the timed sets? maybe later on in the day if your schedule permits. I know I wouldn't snatch or clean well the day after heavy squatting.

I'm currently trying to implement the O-lifts into an intermediate program. I think this might work.

Mon: Snatch heavy @ 60sec, C&J 80% x10x1 @ 90sec, Squat 3x5, Bench/alt. press 3x5
    Tue: Front Squat 3x3 (@ 70-80% Monday's back squat). Hang snatch, hang C&J, both light for several doubles or singles.
    Thu: C&J heavy, Snatch 80%x15x1 @ 90sec
    Fri: Squat heavy 5x1, Press/alt. bench 5RM, HDL 1x8 / RP 1x5

* The bench/press for 3x5 might be better suited for Tuesday if the workout takes too long or is too stressful on Monday.
    * The back-squats could be switched so the 5 heavy singles are done on Monday & the 3x5 across are done on Friday so there's no heavy squatting & pulling on the same day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123