starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 60's Pressing vs. Benching

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Because I was a dumbass and didn't train it. I have two shoulder repairs as testament to the stupidity of failing to keep the press in proportion.
    quite a trivial question here -
    so its not terribly uncommon that there are people in today's weight lifting society that get a shoulder injury for the same reason you just stated. was there any problem back when the press was fashionable with people neglecting bench? would neglecting the bench press in heavy favor of the press produce a similar injury that neglecting the bench does?

I am not aware of an injury that benching prevents that would be promoted by the press.

How much is your press at now, Mark?

Quote Originally Posted by mlentzner View Post
    That's my goal...It's going to take awhile.

BTW: Starr looks a lot bigger than 185 in that picture - more like 220+ if you ask me. Still an amazing feat of strength.

Matt
    I believe the heaviest he competed at was as a 198er. He may or may not be more than that in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Starr's rule of thumb for a 200-lb man was a 200 press, 300 bench press, 400 squat, 500 deadlift.
    Rip, out of interest, how long in your experience would it take the average male trainee to hit those numbers, assuming a starting weight of between 180-200 lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    How much is your press at now, Mark?
    I did 10 singles with 180 last week.

Quote Originally Posted by aron View Post
    Rip, out of interest, how long in your experience would it take the average male trainee to hit those numbers, assuming a starting weight of between 180-200 lbs?
    Starting weight? Clarify.

Sorry, should have been clearer. I meant a starting bodyweight of between 180 to 200 lbs, who trains and recovers optimalkw and correctly.

A guy with a starting bodyweight 180-200 will end up at 230-250 by the time he's showing this proportionate strength. Maybe 2-3 years.

starting strength coach development program
    Just a note about myself at the guys I train with...

We, as a group (my training partners), are pretty strong at press comparatively. However, we all feel like we are still VERY weak compared to our other lifts. For example, I press 300, but I bench 440 (with a pause)@ 275lbs. Based on % of what Starr says is optimal, that puts me about right, but I still think I have shoulder problems occasionally from too much benching and not enough work on pressing (event though I do both every single week).

My other training partners are similiar..

Jon Gold: 500 bench, 320 press @ 320lbs
    Zack Condo: 485 bench, 285 press @ 320 (6'5" and just started pressing with us this year)
    Nick Graham: 405 bench, 260-ish press @ 240

We have started raising our overall volume of pressing each week in some capacity and also the addition of a fair amount of rear delt work seems to be helping. So, just some notes of guys who are fairly strong who are actually doing the press.

This summer my goal is to hit 330 at 260, which seems pretty damn strong and quite doable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12