starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When to move from Starting Strength to CrossFit?

Default When to move from Starting Strength to CrossFit?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

I've wasted about 1 1/2 years in a gym doing bodybuilding programs, didn't really go anywhere, then did Stronglifts 5x5 for 6 weeks, made some gains.

I've now decided that my goal is GPP and would like to do CrossFit. I've figured I'm still in the novice phase in terms of strength, so it seems to make sense to first do Starting Strength for a while, before doing CrossFit, so I can make some fast strength gains.

When would you recommend me to move from Starting Strength to CrossFit, considering that my goal is GPP? Until I've reached some weight relative to my body weight, like bodyweight benchpress x 5 x 3? Once I've stalled and deloaded x times?

Male, 32 years, 6 feet, 178 pounds, most likely skinny fat, BF probably around 19%

Bench Press 3x5 - 138 pounds (probably could do more, but not really pushing it to the limit, because I don't have a spotter)

Squat 3x5 - 253 pounds (in smith machine unfortunately. There is no gym in my city with a power rack. I hate it. Looking right now for another gym somewhere else, where I can squat freely)

Deadlift 1x5 - 220 pounds

Overhead Press 3x5 - 95 pounds

Thank you

Move from a strength program to CrossFit after you 1.) have actually done a strength program -- you're not doing one now -- and 2.) you get tired of getting bigger and stronger, and thus improving your work capacity the only logical way a novice improves it.

Rip,

I think you forgot to mention #3) switch from SS to CrossFit when you decide you want a raging case of tendonitis in your elbows

As far as GPP work for the OP, hill sprints and prowler pushes will give 99% of the population all the GPP they can handle. Pushing the prowler makes me wish for death every time I do it, but I have yet to ever feel even the slightest bit of soreness the day after pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemn View Post
    Coach,

I've wasted about 1 1/2 years in a gym doing bodybuilding programs, didn't really go anywhere, then did Stronglifts 5x5 for 6 weeks, made some gains.

I've now decided that my goal is GPP and would like to do CrossFit. I've figured I'm still in the novice phase in terms of strength, so it seems to make sense to first do Starting Strength for a while, before doing CrossFit, so I can make some fast strength gains.

When would you recommend me to move from Starting Strength to CrossFit, considering that my goal is GPP? Until I've reached some weight relative to my body weight, like bodyweight benchpress x 5 x 3? Once I've stalled and deloaded x times?

Male, 32 years, 6 feet, 178 pounds, most likely skinny fat, BF probably around 19%

Bench Press 3x5 - 138 pounds (probably could do more, but not really pushing it to the limit, because I don't have a spotter)

Squat 3x5 - 253 pounds (in smith machine unfortunately. There is no gym in my city with a power rack. I hate it. Looking right now for another gym somewhere else, where I can squat freely)

Deadlift 1x5 - 220 pounds

Overhead Press 3x5 - 95 pounds

Thank you
    I don't think I've EVER been in a gym without a power rack. I pity you. I truly do.

As for your squatting issue, I'd do whatever I could to actually put a bar on my back and squat - even if that meant using a smaller weight than you would in a smith machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Move from a strength program to CrossFit after you 1.) have actually done a strength program -- you're not doing one now -- and 2.) you get tired of getting bigger and stronger, and thus improving your work capacity the only logical way a novice improves it.
    I really like that answer. You might even replace the word "logical" with "significant."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    [...] after you 1.) have actually done a strength program -- you're not doing one now -- [...].
    I'm confused about this statement, Coach. Is Starting Strength not considered a strength program?

You're confused about what he's doing. It's not our program.

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot617 View Post
    Is Starting Strength not considered a strength program?
    It would be rather amusing if Starting Strength was neither considered a strength program, nor was it for those starting out. "It was going to be called Advanced Strategies for Expert Ping-Pong, but Starting Strength just sounded way cooler. We're sorry for misleading or confusing anyone."

I have a similar goal to the OP. I started cross fit a year ago, and soon thereafter decided to focus on getting stronger. So I'm about six months removed from xfit and MUCH stronger.

You weren't kidding about wasting 18 months in the gym. You'll have a hard time keeping up with a hard core cross fitter without more strength. I decided to focus on lifting (NO WODS) until I had a 1000 lb cross fit total, and Im basically there now, just haven't officially done it yet. My next goal is a 500lb dead lift, a 400 lb squat, a 350 lb bench, and a bodyweight (210) press. I'd estimate I'm 3 or 4 months away.

I believe there is a point of diminishing returns with a focus on strength, but you're nowhere near that yet. I feel I'm just barely approaching it myself. Strength helps you with everything else, and is hard to acquire unless you focus on it. My advice is to do starting strength and do the program right. When your progress stalls and you have plenty of strength, move on to whatever else you want.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    I don't think I've EVER been in a gym without a power rack. I pity you. I truly do.
    It is a trait of many Planet Fitness gyms.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast