starting strength gym

Thread: Question on deadlift/halting/rack pull cylces

Default Question on deadlift/halting/rack pull cylces

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

I set a goal to pull a 600 lb deadlift by the end of 2011, if not sooner (pulled 545x1 yesterday). Since I'm experiencing issues with recovery from heavy deadlifts I've chosen to start a program centered around haltings and rack pulls for my heavy pulling.

The issue I have is that I love to deadlift. I always have; it's my favorite of all the lifts. It's going to be very strange for me to train without deadlifting. I'll trust your judgement, tho and give it a go. I understand i'll be alternating haltings and rack pulls every other week. I read that you only deadlifted in the warm-up room and on the platform on meet day. Since I have no plans to compete in a powerlifting meet at this time, I have a question for you.

How long would you suggest cycling in the haltings and rack pulls before testing the full ROM deadlift again? 8 weeks, 12, 15...?

If you care to know more about my training background and current split, here you go:
    32 years old, 6' 1", 220 lbs, trained and competed in Strongman for about 8 years up until late 2009.
    Currently I follow a 4 day split, similar to the following, but not always set in stone. Listing only the work sets, not my warmups.
    Day 1:
    Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
    Weighted dips - 2 sets of 5
    Weighted pullups - 2 sets of 5
    Barbell Curls (for the girls...)

Day 2:
    Squat - 2 sets of 5
    Stiff Legs (bar touching top of feet) - 1 set of 5
    Barbell Shrugs - 1 set of 5
    Back Extensions - 2 sets of 10

Day 3:
    Clean & Press: 3 sets of 5 or 5 sets of heavy singles
    Clean & Push Press: 1 clean with 3 push presses
    Bench Press: 5 sets of 3 (speed)
    Pullups - bodyweight for 5x5

Day 4:
    Squats: 3 sets of singles, pyamiding up, sub 1RM or 5 sets of 3 (speed)
    Deadlifts: 1 set of 5 (heavy singles once a month)
    Barbell Shrugs: 1 set of 5

Day 4 was the workout I did yesterday. Here's what I ended with:
    Squat: 365x2, 385x1, 405x1
    Deadlifts: 225x5, 315x5, 405x2, 475x1, 545x1
    Barbell Shrugs: 3115x5, 405x5, 495x5, 625x5

My stiff legs end with 405x5 and I do heavy shrugs twice a week. I'm sure that's not helping my recovery issues since that would be 2 days a week of heavy pulling with cleans on a 3rd day. I just love to pull...

Thanks a bunch.

What are you squatting for 5?

I hit 400 for 2 sets of 5 at the end of 2010. I've been having some recovery issues lately so I backed off and my most recent squat workout was 2 sets of 5 at 365.

It will be interesting to see if that is enough base for a 600 deadlift. Figure on 5 lb. jumps, so that would be 10 lbs/month for the 55 lb. span. Given a couple of resets, probably by October.

Got it. Just to be clear, are you recommending the haltings/rack pulls straight thru until around October. Or do you suggest pulling from the floor a few times to chart my progress as I go?

And my squat will be going up. I'm planning on a mid-400's set of 5 by summer. I've got a couple of issues to work out with recovery and cleaning up technique. The strength is there.

Hey Rip,

The TM is working great, thank you again. Back to Travis's question, how many weeks after beginning the altnerating of rack pulls/haltings before testing the deadlift? and would you wait to do it on the intensity day when you're bodys a little bit less beat up?

I don't know that you test the deadlift, because if you do you interrupt your training for the deadlift. Ironic, eh? Maybe once, Travis, after a reset and a recovery to the weight.

Got it. Thanks for the info. One last question for you: do you have any suggestions on an appropriate weight with which to start the halting deadlifts (do you have a general rule of thumb based on a percentage of 1RM, 5RM, or rather make an educated guess based on the individual and their strong/weak points)?

I'm good with where to start at for the rack pulls. I've been doing those long enough to figure that one out on my own.

Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    With a 1RM deadlift of 545, I'd guess you'd start with about 455 x 8. But it varies, so titrate it yourself.