starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last squat video from me... maybe...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Could you be any more condescending? Your tone pisses me off.
    In response, I will quote:

"Excuse me? Do you want to back that statement up? Who are you exactly?"

Seriously, you just got done trolling someone in the recovery thread and you're accusing me of condescension? Please.

Quote Originally Posted by danimal1991 View Post
    I would love to type a long huge rebuttal, but I really don't feel like wasting my time, the internet is very bad for these purposes. I'm sorry for the questioning the random guy on a forum, I forgot everyone on the internet is a professional.

Since you are the omnipotent Steve in ATL, how do these look ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4jWs9WEkpo
    I am not omnipotent, however I am judged to be competent. I don't consider myself just a random guy on the internet, since I do maintain an accurate profile here.

As for your squats, first, this video is a little dark, which is making it difficult to see your hip crease. I *think* what I'm about to tell you is right, but it might be subject to change if the lighting were better and the camera angle a little different. Tow pictures that I took from them will illustrate. In any even, all appeared to be borderline acceptable to high, but #1 was only a bit high, if that. #2 and #3 were the worst, and you corrected a little bit for #4 and #5, getting lower again, though still possibly high. At this angle I can't see what your knees are doing (with respect to driving them out), or get a good assessment of how far apart your feet are, but if I were there, I'd probably have you turn your toes out a bit more, and drive your knees out a little farther. You need to reach back just a little with your butt, your back angle is a little high and your knees are a little farther forward than your September video above. Stop trying to initiate by throwing your hips back like that - just break at the hips and knees at the same time. Pause the video at the bottom of your first rep of the September video above. That's a nice position right there. Do that.

Question: Are you having shoulder issues, or are you concentrating on other things and letting your elbows get a bit low? If it's the former, move your hands a little farther apart so you can get the back up a bit more.

All in all, though, a big improvement, but not as nice as that first rep from September. Can you think of anything that you a thinking different from then? What changed? Those are the things that you need to be thinking of!

Finally, tell the dude in black with the red bandanna to quit blocking the fucking view. I was trying to scope the chick.

That's it. Here are the pics

Bottom of Rep # 1 Sep 09:

Bottom of Rep #1 Feb 11:

Alright, now that criticism I appreciate and am thankful for.

In the most recent set you have viewed I did point my toes out a bit more, just before what I would consider excessive and I was pushing my knees out as much as I physically could without the medial part of my foot coming off of the floor.

With regard to my elbows, I have brought them down a bit since my left anterior portion of my deltoid has been causing some significant pain during the ascension and this seems to have made it better. I have played around with my grip width from far out as possible and as close in as possible and everything in between and this seems best for me.

Yea, I do that silly thing with my hips before I go down, I got in the habit of that when learning to sit back with my hips, but I'll definitely work on cutting that out.

With regard to what has changed since 4 months ago, I got tired of tweaking my back and feeling like my spine was about to explode, as well as alot of the people in the gym were concerned about it. I still do disagree that those are better squats, yes my depth is slightly better and my knees are further back, but I think keeping my back in a safe, strong position is more important since this leads to having a more efficient bar path, maybe we just have differing opinions. My depth really isn't all that bad I think your correct that the lighting is throwing it off, the two reps you noted were definitely higher than the rest though.

Thank you for taking the time out to go through all of that and I'll do my best to implement your critiques.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    In response, I will quote:

"Excuse me? Do you want to back that statement up? Who are you exactly?"

Seriously, you just got done trolling someone in the recovery thread and you're accusing me of condescension? Please.
    Fuck this. You sound like a massive dickhead is all I'm saying. Just a heads up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by danimal1991 View Post
    I still do disagree that those are better squats, yes my depth is slightly better and my knees are further back, but I think keeping my back in a safe, strong position is more important since this leads to having a more efficient bar path, maybe we just have differing opinions.
    As I pointed out, I thought your first one from that set, from a form standpoint, was very good. Your back broke down as the set progressed, yes, but we expect stuff like that to happen when we are doing maximal efforts - something has to provide the weak point that eventuates a failed rep, right? So th thing to do here would have been to go back to a weight that you could have done all 5x3 like that (and progressed from there), instead of changing your depth, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12