starting strength gym

Thread: A Stubborn DL Injury

Default A Stubborn DL Injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach,

I competed in my first PL meet about 2 months ago. During my 3rd DL attempt at 465 lb, I seemed to injure a chest muscle. I could not seen anything in the video that would indicate the cause, but I suspect it might have been during the lowering phase (I was told to lower the bar more slowly). But if you'd prefer to see it yourself, the attempt is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Uu4l7EVV4

Since then, I have not been able to lock out my deadlifts without pain. A pinching pain originates in my chest next to the sternum, and shoots up and over my right trap (see attached picture). The doc said it was probably a muscle strain, so I attempted Starr's Rehab, but the pain was overwhelming at about 200 pounds. I could originally also not press or sneeze without pain. Now, I am completely without pain during all the lifts except with heavy deadlift lockouts.

Given your understanding of anatomy and the deadlift, I was hoping you could help me understand what's going on, and what I should do about it now. I was thinking about trying Starr's again, since I can deadlift up to about 300 pounds without pain. Thanks sincerely.

DL.jpg

Doctors are such amusing guys, as are lifters that ask them questions about these injuries. It appears likely that you have injured your sternum at a costal articulation. It may take a while to heal, and there's no point in paying for an MRI since it's going to take the same time to heal and you're not going to have surgery. Start back very light with weights that do not tweak it. It will be okay.