starting strength gym

Thread: sprained chest wall

Default sprained chest wall

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey rip, thanks for all your books, they have been very useful for me in finally doing it right.

After wrestling, i sprained my chest wall, similar to a broken rib. I took some time off, and started SS to regain strength. My mother remains unconvinced that weight training is safe to continue lifting weight relatively heavy to my frame. (I am eating by the way, up 20 pounds) I have also read SS probably 10 times along with studying videos, so my form is pretty good. After recently squatting 230 for reps, she is convinced that it is too much for a 16 year old, 170 pound kid. I've told her that along with the strength, comes in increase in bone density and ligament strength all relative to the safety of performing a proper lift. I've showed her all the tables and research in SS and PP. However, she still holds to the belief that I shouldn't be taking advice from a book instead of someone in person. I've explained that most PT's and pediatricians' knowledge on the subject is at best, outdated. It makes me mad, and I'm sure a question of this nature is seemingly common sense to you. Do you have any wisdom that you could drop that could help me in my efforts to get her on board with my strength training. My mom will read this, so keep it PG please. Thank you.

Other than the 35,605 posts on this board and the books, I don't really have any information that I'm keeping secret from your mother. She's not informed, and she may choose to stay uninformed. But she's your mother and she's paying the bills. The answer is to wait until you're old enough and then move out.

You mom has no problem with you wrestling with dude that are trying to bend you into a variety of shape and getting slammed, but yet controlled, progressive movements that adhere to normal movement patterns give her pause?

I know they are different sports, but my Judo coach is also a powerlifter. He's in his late 50's and both of his knees are shot. Every injury he's had that lasted more than a few day, including the knees was from judo.