starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Imbalance

Default Shoulder Imbalance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mr Rippetoe,

I’ve been on the beginner program for several months now and am still seeing fairly linear gains. One of my initial motivations for starting was to rehab my right shoulder that lost a lot of muscle after a fracture / rotator cuff repair.

My bum shoulder has come a long way and is stronger than ever before, but still weaker than my left side. Looking in the mirror I can see that both my Trapezius and Deltoids on the right side are still smaller than the left. And I can feel the effect on my OHP and bench press, where the right always moves slower than the left. When I fail it's often because I can't lock out my weak side.

I had hoped that just using the bar would require both sides to even out, but that doesn't seem to be happening (…but tell me if you think I am I just being impatient here). I’ve been told to do some dumbbell work but I’m not sure what, and I am hesitant to add additional stuff since I don’t want it to mess with progress on the OHP and bench.

I’m curious what you would recommend for this situation. Thanks for your advice and all of your work helping clueless novices like myself.

Stats: 33 yo | 5’9” | 195lbs (up from 160 since ~9 months ago)
    (3x5) Squat 270lbs |Bench 160 | Press 105|(1x5) Deadlift 315

You're right to not mess with the program. Isolation work does not help, since it will be definition be lighter. These types of imbalances after serious injuries like fractures may persist, especially visually, for quite some time. It has been my experience that cuff repairs heal pretty well and balance returns quickly if you are aggressive about rehab, as I've detailed here before.

Great! I'm glad to hear that. I appreciate the advice.
    I think it's great that you respond personally to peoples issues on your forum. Very cool.

But sometimes I respond to personal issues in a way that is not necessarily designed to make people like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But sometimes I respond to personal issues in a way that is not necessarily designed to make people like me.
    It's the fact that you don't care if you're liked that some of us value.

I'd better rebuke you now, lest you be deemed a nuthugger and I a willing huggee. I rebuke you, therefore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivk View Post
    I think it's great that you respond personally to peoples issues on your forum. Very cool.
    No, thank you for asking the questions. Thank you to the thousands upon thousands who continue to ask questions. It's as sure as time. The questions never cease and this provides the rest of us with hours of entertainment. We also have a nice wall of Rippetoe quotes going on the interwebZ taken right from this here Q&A.

Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    It's the fact that you don't care if you're liked that some of us value.
    It lends itself to procuring a hopefully very unbiased look-see at any situation we might have.

starting strength coach development program
    One of the most poetic uses of "nuthugger" I've seen around here. I'll just assume I've been rebuked as well, but I had to point it out nonetheless.