starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell swings

Default Kettlebell swings

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi.

I was just wondering about your opinion on kettlebell swings, as for increasing explosiveness (sports related). I don't have access to bumperplates and are therefor unable to perform Power Cleans, so I wondered if incoorperating kettlebell swings would be a good way too add some explosive training?

Thanks for your time,

Simen

You think that kettlebell swings are explosive? How many reps are you using?

I haven't actually tried them yet, as I didn't know if they would be worth adding. I guess they are not.

But lets say I do 10 reps, wouldn't that contribute to an explosive posterior chain?

Kettlebell swings are not explosive. They are repetitive, which limits their intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Kettlebell swings are not explosive. They are repetitive, which limits their intensity.
    Allright, thanks.

I guess I am pretty limited regarding explosive training, when I dont have access to bumperplates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Kettlebell swings are not explosive.
    How do you figure that?

As a BJJ practitioner I'm often confronted with the latest-and-greatest in explosivity training (box jumps, weighted ropes, kettlebell movements de jour), which sometimes tempts me like the carried voices of sirens. To this, I refer to the Starting Strength Series (TM) interview with Jim Wendler, "I want to power clean 315 pounds with the shittiest form possible."

Therefore, who would I rather fight? An opponent who does 20 kg kettlebell swings or an opponent who can powerclean 315 pounds with shitty form?

I don't have access to bumperplates and are therefor unable to perform Power Cleans
    I've never had access to bumper plates and I've been power cleaning for more than 2 years. How do you think people power cleaned before the invention of bumper plates? After racking at the shoulders, unrack the bar back to the hang position and set the weight down like a deadlift. This might impede your ability to perform 1RM cleans because of the risk of missing and damaging floors, bars, and plates. However, since you're just starting, you should build confidence and technique by never missing a lift.

You don't need bumper plate to do power cleans. Just use iron and set the bar down with out dropping it. Yes your max weight would be somewhat limited but at least you would be getting some truly explosive benefit.

starting strength coach development program
    I find kettlebell swings work very well as an active recovery exercise. As far as explosiveness, even the 100 lb kettlebell I've used doesn't compare to a power clean, heavy shrug, or high pull when it comes to building explosiveness. Kettlebells are just too light to increase that kind of power. Useful in their own right. As far as not being able to perform power cleans with metal plates, sure you can. You just don't drop them from overhead. Bringing a heavy barbell down gently so as not to piss of those in charge is a great way to build strength. In the old days, that's how everyone did cleans. And there were some very strong individuals in the old days...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast