starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming around weird quad pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'd like to see him get to 195. I think his legs will heal in the process of doing so. I don't care about his abs as much as he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd like to see him get to 195. I think his legs will heal in the process of doing so. I don't care about his abs as much as he does.
    195 it is. It's just that being initially 135 has a way of providing comparison to my burlier self as of now.
    I don't really care that much about my abs, I'm at about 15% now but have gone north of 20% by the end of my LP and I can't see a reason to go beyond 20%. I have a 34" waist now (measured at the navel), by the end of my LP I was at around 36" and this seemed like a bit too much. I hope you trust me that I'm trying to strike a balance between eating enough to progress and not eating enough to get fat. Could you give me a rough idea of a good rate of weight gain/week at this level of advancement? Still, in the odd chance that this doesn't work, would doing DE squats on Friday detract significantly from my absolute strength gains?

Quote Originally Posted by jwhal View Post
    Carlos: after three different physiotherapists, I've managed to find a good one (an athlete himself) who utilizes massage therapy, and he solved six years of un-necessary knee pain for me. I know the common perception of PT's around here, but perhaps you could luck out and find someone who is competent in your area?

Jon
    I really distrust local PTs. If he were an athlete I might consider it, but still, squats in Brazil are as common as polar bears so I find it hard that he knows anything about squats. Serious strength training is very much rare too, so I'll have to figure this out by myself with the help of the guys around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shion View Post
    This could be completely irrelevant but, maybe it's a form issue? My own level of quad DOMS is basically non-existant despite the fact that I work delivering appliances and furnitures going up flights of stairs and that's a fair bit of quad work, while hams, adductors and glutes are sore all the time from squats. The only time I have felt crushing quad DOMS from squats is when my form breaks down and I end up raising the chest a lot. Maybe you need to think of driving with the hips more?
    I film myself fairly regularly and Rip has checked out my squats before and didn't see any form issues. But it's a fair hypothesis, one I considered myself and it might have a shred of truth. But I don't think a little quad dominance on a few reps explains this shitstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I really distrust local PTs. If he were an athlete I might consider it, but still, squats in Brazil are as common as polar bears so I find it hard that he knows anything about squats. Serious strength training is very much rare too, so I'll have to figure this out by myself with the help of the guys around here.

All I meant was, finding a PT who is capable of massage therapy in the event that you have some deep trigger points that you haven't be able to work out yourself. Just because you feel the pain in your quads doesn't mean that your quads are the issue. For myself, it started with a tight QL and ended with stupid knee pain that wasn't necessary and lots of shit in between. Anyways, it was just a thought. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jwhal View Post
    Just because you feel the pain in your quads doesn't mean that your quads are the issue.
    This is usually PT bullshit. Usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is usually PT bullshit. Usually.
    It could be PT bullshit, perhaps - whatever. However, I suffered ridiculously un-necessary "knee pain" for over six years, and yet there was nothing actually wrong with my knee - it was shit further up the "kinetic chain", if you will, and the knee is where I felt it. You can believe me or not, but this was my experience. And I'm not saying that this applies to every scenario either, but even you asked if he saw a therapist. I was merely suggesting one profession that may be able to help/assist him with deep tissue massage, nothing else. I don't mean to be rude, because I respect your knowledge and experience, but did you actually read my whole post?

Therefore, once again for clarity: could Carlos find a PT who utilizes massage therapy, be it ART, Gravi-what, trigger point therapy, or whatever? That's all I was asking.

Have a good night.

Jon

Yes, it wasn't that long. Let me be clear: this is USUALLY physical therapy bullshit. Does the emphasis help?

starting strength coach development program
    A little update: volume day yesterday was hum... hard. However, while I'm sore as fuck today, the weird quad pain has not showed up. This somewhat points to the hypothesis that it's something to do with high intensity. I am however trying to eat more too, Rip. Don't know how much it's helping but it worth trying if not for the sake of getting bigger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12