starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Power Bar Maintenance

Default Texas Power Bar Maintenance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So after watching your newest video on bar maintenance and detecting bending, I realized that I've unknowingly had a texas power bar in my possession for about a year. I've primarily used it for squatting and press. The thing is as straight as an arrow.

The douche I bought it from for $25 off craigslist spraypainted it with this black anti-rust spraypaint. Do you by any chance know of a safe way to remove the spraypaint without destroying the bar? Its always bothered me a little bit, but never enough to warrant me doing anything about it because I never realized exactly what I had.

Thanks!

That may be a MAC bar and not a Texas Power Bar. There have been some changes to the situation in Grand Prairie in the years since I have bought the things. Buddy Capps used to make them, and still does, I believe, but not for MAC. But this will still be a good bar. You can't hurt it with chemicals. Just get a paint stripper for metal and apply it as many times as is necessary. But really, the damn thing looks fine to me, unless the paint is in the knurl, which I can't see.

The end cap on the bar has an outline of the state of Texas and inside of it it says "power". The paint is in the knurl but it is still textured so I guess it isn't a problem.

Thanks,

Mine don't have that logo. Was a later thing, I suppose. I'd strip it if the paint is in the knurl.

That's the old Mac Barbell one. I love those bars. I have three of them at the gym.

So I bought some of that 3 in one oil, and oiled my 3 bars. The Mac Barbell in the picture above, my Bushing class bar, and my shitty cap barbell bar. Out of all of them, the Mac Barbell that I got on craigslist for $25 has the best spin, even better than the bushing bar that I paid out the ass for. Am I not oiling it correctly? On the bushing bar there's only place to put oil, where the grip meets the sleeve. Or would i have to take it apart and void my warranty?
    Last edited by Nick Delgadillo; 10-28-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling

starting strength coach development program
    Caveat emptor is Latin for "Let the buyer beware".