starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn Seminar

Default Brooklyn Seminar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I just wanted to say that I had a great time at the seminar on all levels. I feel fortunate to have been able to attend. I learned a ton, met great people, you and your team foremost among them, and just had a great old time. Which is saying a lot for an event that makes me wake up at 6am on a weekend.

FYI, I expected my bad knee to feel pretty beat up after the weekend, especially given my sleep deprivation throughout, but the small (I hope you agree that my form wasn't too atrocious coming in) but important corrections you gave me have made a huge difference. It feels surprisingly good. It's made me more confident and willing to push myself harder in my training to get back to the strength I had before the injury and surgery and exceed it. And this is an incredibly valuable consequence to me. So thanks so much for that.

Guys,

Even if you're convinced your form is 95% good, I strongly urge you to attend a seminar when you get a chance. That 5% form correction will make a huge difference that is completely out of proportion to what you think its importance is now.

There's also no dollar amount that can express the value of being in a group of like-minded lifters of many different anthropometries, watching Rip and his instructors coach them one after another and flag their potential issues and correct their actual issues, and seeing what they look like when they all perform the lifts correctly. Anyone here who is a trainer or coach or interested in training or coaching people should get their asses to a seminar.

The only thing I could have wished for was the presence of some real novices, so that we could have a guided experience with what happens with coaching people coming fresh to this method of coaching. But I guess it's not exactly the kind of thing for which you can pull people in off the street. And that's not really a complaint. As a New Yorker, I hate not having complaints about something, but here I am, with nothing to complain about.

Yeah it was pretty awesome. I am thinking about doing it again if you guys come back in september.

95%, spar? Jesus, you are impressive. Even after having essentially had sex with the books, I still found myself reverting to old habits, usually due to a lack of strength in the first place.

There's no dollar value you can put on seminar experience, especially when you're getting hands-on training from the author of one of the most important (i.e., obligatory) training books you can ever read--that is, if you're actually serious about training.

I was too much of a faggot to secure a spot for the Mississauga seminar, but I have some work to do, anyway. Hopefully the next time Rip comes up to Ontario I can make my way out. Thanks for the insight.

Damn, I really want to attend to a seminar. It is a shame I live Norway. You should do an European tour, as I am sure there are many of us here on the other side of the ocean that would attend!

Is Iceland close enough?

Quote Originally Posted by forgeforth View Post
    95%, spar? Jesus, you are impressive. Even after having essentially had sex with the books, I still found myself reverting to old habits, usually due to a lack of strength in the first place.
    Read what I actually wrote. I said even if YOU think you're doing things 95% correct. I wouldn't make such claims for myself. I mean, I knew my form wasn't terrible or anything. But there's only so much one can do on one's own.

Are you guys going to Iceland? When?

The more I read about this seminar, the more I want to go.

We're looking at October.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We're looking at October.
    You'll fly to Iceland, but won't come to New Orleans? For shame Mark, for shame.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    Rip,

The only thing I could have wished for was the presence of some real novices, so that we could have a guided experience with what happens with coaching people coming fresh to this method of coaching. But I guess it's not exactly the kind of thing for which you can pull people in off the street. And that's not really a complaint. As a New Yorker, I hate not having complaints about something, but here I am, with nothing to complain about.
    When we had our seminar in Alaska Feb/Mar of this year, we had a couple of absolute rank novices. Rip and Stef took one particular guy who had never really trained and made him a pretty decent coach in a week of training.

I agree with everything you said here. Our experience in AK was exactly the same, except we had the fortune of having an entire 5 day work week to train. Since the seminar, several of us placed in the state powerlifting championships and all of us have crushed our own personal records...thanks in large part to minor modifications in form that could have only been corrected by someone with the experience of Stef or Rip.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast