starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength for golfers?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm poking fun at the logic and reasoning in the other thread. It doesn't seem so bad when talking about Oly lifting, and some people buy it, but it looks silly in the context of this thread.

I thought it was clever.

Yeah, I wasn't sure it was a joke until I caught the same exact misspelling of surgeon and lack of a present continuous verb in the same sentence (am).

It was clever though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    CHRIST, boys, I know there's money in it, but it's fucking GOLF. There was a guy here in town with one leg who would take your money. How about billiards? Anybody want to train people to play better pool?

I find it difficult to be interested in this. But you may continue...
    How can I adapt my linear progression to accommodate playing Poker at a competitive level?

I know a guy in Vegas that might actually know that.

The bottom line is that all the strength in the world won't do a thing for your short game, and that's where the majority of your strokes are coming from. Unless you are into long-driving competitions for $$$, I don't see the point in concerning yourself with strength for golf either.

Really? I'd think a stronger back and grip would be beneficial to a consistent, repeatable short game swing. And it would increase durability/decrease risk of injury.

Are golfers really hard pressed to find 3 hours or less each week to devote to strength training?

Quote Originally Posted by hopsluvr View Post
    The bottom line is that all the strength in the world won't do a thing for your short game, and that's where the majority of your strokes are coming from. Unless you are into long-driving competitions for $$$, I don't see the point in concerning yourself with strength for golf either.
    This is actually a myth. It was first discovered in Science and Golf in the 80s. In the 90s Ralph Mann did a huge study and found out the same thing. Here is an article written in 2010 about this topic:

http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction...016196,00.html

I am a golf professional since 1987 and I have to agree with the main statement of this thread: Almost every so called golf fitness expert I ran into does "functional exercises" with swiss balls etc. I only just started with SS so I can not raise my voice yet in the golfing community. But I am the ideal candidate: I am 6"1’ / 165 pounds, squatting only 110 and hitting my 7-iron no more than 145 yards. I am really motivated and curious to see what is still possible.

BTW: Mark, here is a video of two swedish tour players training with a barbell. I would love to hear your comment on this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MeiIfpFLHYU

To the original posters question:

My personal experience is that increased strength hasn't added much distance to my shot, but I would guess that could vary person to person. I have added 80lbs to my squat in the last 6 months and don't hit the ball any further than before (average drive is 280 before and after).

"I'd think a stronger back and grip would be beneficial to a consistent, repeatable short game swing. And it would increase durability/decrease risk of injury. "

You are swinging a club that weighs a couple of pounds at slow speeds. Back and grip strength have nothing to do with short game. Having the muscle memory and ability to judge greens so that you can accurately carry/roll the ball to within a few feet from varying distances are what matter.

"Are golfers really hard pressed to find 3 hours or less each week to devote to strength training?"

If someone can consistently hit 250 yard drives, then distance is not the limiting factor of their scoring. If they can do that and their only concern is bettering their golf game, they would be better served spending those 3 hours practicing golf.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    No one is saying that basic strength outweighs technical prowess by any means, but if you aren't going to spend 24 hours a day chipping and putting, why not devote 3-4 hours a week to getting stronger?
    Agreed, but TDTFP it requires more than just the 3-4 hrs per wk we spend training with weights. As anyone doing the program knows, recovery time (rest, eating... all the time, and sleep) takes a helluva lot more time out of your week than actual training. After a week of training, I cringe at the thought of walking 18-holes (I don't use a cart... yet). So view my comments through the realistic mind of a 48 yr old guy who loves the progam, but has residual low-back, shoulder, & knee injuries from yrs of work, sports, and improper lifting technique. I know I drive the ball longer because of the program, but I don't see where the additional strength dramatically benefits my pitching, chipping, & putting. I don't know about you, but that's where 80% of my strokes come from.

Even if we are talking about a young, uninjured, competitive golfer, I'd have a hard time believing they could truly DTFP "in-season". However, if the argument is for "off-season" only, I wouldn't hesitate a second to start them on the program.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by poloplayer View Post

BTW: Mark, here is a video of two swedish tour players training with a barbell. I would love to hear your comment on this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MeiIfpFLHYU
    Brutal strength, well-chosen highly-effective exercises, razor technique. Golfers doing CrossFit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast