starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anatomically forced into high-bar squat--Australian animals -- Alternative proteins

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    did this thread seriously get hijacked into wombat discussion?

::glances at thread title::

fuck

Even here in faraway Iceland we can buy kangaroo steak pretty much year round and it's not that expensive either. It's not bad although it lacks fat.

Not wombat though.

Whale however, is cheap and plentiful, but not as cheap as it was when I was a child and ate it three times a week.

We'll need some whale meat. I'm less interested in eating marsupials.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We'll need some whale meat. I'm less interested in eating marsupials.

Just so happens that I was reading page 285 of Mean Ol' Mr. Gravity which would suggest otherwise! Unless that's why there's an Iceland seminar in the pipeline...
    Some of my family cooked up an armadillo to eat, smelled real nasty though so it's one of the few things I've ever turned my nose up at. They live on the edge of the Amazon basin in Bolivia, they eat some mad stuff there. Anaconda steaks even.

I never tried whale meat, but my family members say that in Russia (we lived in the far east of Russia, in Vladivostok) we had plenty of whale meat in stores.
    Usually it was imported from Japan and other asian countries.
    Well, all I heard from my family about this meat is that it smelled weird and it was quite tasteless.

But hey, maybe the Icelandic folks are just way better than Japanese and Russians when it comes to preparing whale meat...

Whale is OK, nothing special. Lot's of flavour though. Weird smell? I wouldn't really so but if it's exposed to air for too long it tastes bad. It's best frozen in an ice shell to minimise exposure to air. Restaurants here are probably good at it although I've mostly eaten it at home.

Seal on the other hand, is incredible. Best steak I have ever had in my life (but only once). I'm looking forward to having seal again someday.

I love this thread so much.

Wombat? Kangaroo? Wallaby? Whale? Armadillo?, you are wasting your time boys, if you really want to increase your strength you need to eat real protein, you need to eat underground mutton!

[QUOTE=hbriem;263886 Seal on the other hand, is incredible. Best steak I have ever had in my life (but only once). I'm looking forward to having seal again someday.[/QUOTE]

You just made me hungry, really.
    I would love to try it someday.

As for the whale, it could be that it was indeed exposed to the air for too much time and that was what caused the loss of its flavor.

Now, a slight correction to what I wrote earlier. It appears that especially in Vladivostok, the Russians had large fleets of whalers and meat processing factories, and that not all of the whale meat was imported from Japan.

starting strength coach development program
    okay rip - since I have the benefit of already having an open thread:

When I first "did" the program (quotes b/c of so many wrong things that it really wasnt doing the program) I did high bar squats and even then my form was only so-so. One thing I remember well enough was the knee pain, as though the squats were really forcing the knee joint into work it shouldn't have been doing (imagine scraping)

once I figured out the low bar squat form (as per the original post), the pressure on the knee was gone. ok so just now for the sake of brevity, going back high bar I'm finding the same problem with too much knee, and the added bonus of the movement just not "feeling" right (for lack of a better explanation). So I'm going to reread the squat chapter in SS and see what I can figure out, but any help here would be appreciated. is this just a simple matter of lean back more? I like my knees and want to take care of them.

tags: knees, wombat, wombats

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast