starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting with cerebral palsy

Default Squatting with cerebral palsy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rip,

I've been doing the SS workout for quite some time. I recently bought the book because I wanted to perfect my technique in the lifts. Now, I've been squatting with a sumo/powerlifting stance because I was born with very low grade cerebral palsy in my hamstrings and calves. It has really only affected my life by giving me very tight hamstrings/calves, and I walk funny because if I don't walk consciously thinking about it I walk on my toes also. So when I tried to squat with proper technique with an empty bar, I get about halfway to parallel and then I get stuck, and i literally can't go any deeper. If I go up on my toes (which is natural for me) I can then do a complete squat with proper technique, other than the heel raising mentioned. I figure that a heavy enough weight may help keep my heels down, but last time I used a calf raise machine a few months back I could do max weight (400lbs) for 12 reps, and I could have kept going. So me doing calf raises my whole life when I walk has got my calves almost too strong.

Now should working on my flexibility in my tight spots help? I assume since I'm actually dealing with a disease that's making my muscles tight and not just plain old inflexible muscles, it would at least take a bit longer than a few workouts to gain proper flexibility. Or maybe i should just use a block/raise my heels? I know this isn't proper technique, but I feel like I may just have to deal with the deck I've been dealt...

How much are you squatting now?

Quote Originally Posted by joates2384 View Post
    Or maybe i should just use a block/raise my heels?
    Have you considered getting a pair of weightlifting shoes?

In your particular circumstances a pair of high heel weightlifting shoes (greater than 1 inch) may help you reach proper depth.

I was up to around 260lbs for 5 reps, though I was stupid and started off doing the Stronglifts routine (I'm sure you've heard of it), and I followed their advice and started with an empty bar and added 5lbs each workout, so I just stuck with the progression when I switched from high bar to low bar around 220lbs because a chronic shoulder injury was aggravated with the lower bar placement, but after going down to 190lbs and working my way back up my shoulder was fine. If I had to guess I bet I could go up to about 300-315lbs for 5, at 5'9" and 190lbs

I like the shoes idea. It may be that a heel too high for most people would help you out tremendously. Look for some old DoWins.