starting strength gym

Thread: ~L5 pain/Injury

Default ~L5 pain/Injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've used the search function, with less success on this subject than I had hoped for.

Just under 3 weeks ago I was due to squat 185kg x 5 x 5, got to my last warm-up set which was 160kg for a double & on the second rep I felt a sudden acute pain in my l5 area, mid-right. Next day I couldn't even put my own socks on upon waking, since then it has recovered slightly, but is still very painful. I've been squatting & pulling conservatively since then. Last Monday I singled up to 180kg, this Monday I only got to 165kg before I had to stop & today was very similar, however I pulled up to 200kg for a slow & bearable single(most I've pulled is 212.5kg for a triple). Pulling hurts less than squatting. In the only thread I found that seemed relevant to me, you suggested the gentleman should learn to train through this relatively common injury, which I've been trying.

So, questions:
    • Should I continue to do so, to the best of my ability?
    • I've been rather pig-headed & not even thought about seeing a Doc because I know how hard back problems are to diagnose, should I give it a shot?
    • Do you have an idea of what it may be & what I should do?

It certainly doesn't seem like a muscular injury & there's no swelling in the area.

& other stats if you need them:
    BW: 198lbs
    Height: 5'6"

Have you seen a chiropractor? This is the type on injury they see and treat successfully, certainly before an MD sees it.

No, but if this is so, I'll arrange a visit this week.

I trained today. Did some Speed DLs with 110kg for 10 x 1 @60secs. Warm-ups hurt, but the pain subsided 2-4 singles in. I initially thought the injury might be a disc herniation, but now I'm not sure. Still certain it's not a muscular injury. After benching I squatted up to 170kg for a single & it wasn't that bad, considering it's 85% of my 5RM, I don't think a herniated disc could manage that without extreme pain could it?

I came out of the workout feeling better than when I went in, so I'll keep lifting conservatively & see what the Chiro has to say.

Use the SEARCH FUNCTION. We've discussed this hundreds of times. This is just one of those little bullshit back injuries that will happen to lifters. It will happen again. It gets better whether you go to the chiropractor or not, and it usually gets better when you train through it. As you now know. You have to learn not to panic when you tweak your back, because if you get emotionally invested in it you can't train productively for any decent length of time. Sometimes it's serious, but the vast majority of the time it's not. Somebody tell wal in the other thread.