starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIPs shoes partially in stock now...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I ordered a pair of size 11 Rip's. Rogue said to order the same size I wear in Chuck's. When they arrived last week, I put them on and was really surprised at how small they were on my feet, really tight; my toe went all the way to the end, and felt pretty narrow. I think they sent 10.5 and called it 11 (held up against the Chuck's they're easily a half size smaller).

However, after wearing them for awhile, they felt fine. My workout on Monday and today was with the Rip's and they felt really good. The suede stretches. The difference between the Chuck's and the Rip's is that the latter really plant your feet solidly on the floor. By contrast, the Chuck's now feel like my feet are pretty loose inside the shoe. I'm definitely glad I purchased the new shoes. I feel more confident under the weight.

Of course they're uglier than homemade sin, but then I'm not much to look at either.

Quote Originally Posted by Need2Lift View Post
    This is good to know. Did you order the same size as your other shoes, or did you need to go a little bigger to accommodate the width?
    I wear generally 11.5-12.5 sized sneakers. I ordered a 12 per Rogue's recommendation based on my other sneakers and it worked out.

I was afraid they were a bit too snug at first; though, I don't know if that's because they were my first lifting shoe and I didn't know how they were supposed to fit compared to running shoes, or because being suede they hadn't stretched a bit as they likely have now.

I'll post up by Thursday my actual foot width if it helps anyone for reference. I haven't had a chance to check in a store just yet.

Halbritt, how snug is snug? I thought the same thing at first regarding my shoes (toes weren't pushed up against the toe box but it was almost uncomfortably snug all around outside that), but I soon realized it was because I just expected my lifting shoe to fit like my running shoe.

I like my RIPs as well. Although, I wear a size 13 running shoe and when I ordered the RIPS I ordered a 13 per the advice of Rogue, whom have great customer survice and they are a little big....but I make due.

I wear them to snatch, squat, clean, jerk, press, deadlift, you name it.

Any advice on how to get them to fit more snug?

Quote Originally Posted by vxmorpheusxv View Post
    Halbritt, how snug is snug? I thought the same thing at first regarding my shoes (toes weren't pushed up against the toe box but it was almost uncomfortably snug all around outside that), but I soon realized it was because I just expected my lifting shoe to fit like my running shoe.
    There's zero lateral movement in through the heel and the mid-foot of the shoe. I feel really "planted" in them which occurs to me as a good thing. There's no discomfort though and there is some room left in the toe box. My point is that they don't seem like a particularly "wide" shoe to me.

I couldn't wait anymore and got the Do-Wins a while back; I see they still don't have Rips in my size. I have a wide foot and ordered in my std shoe size; the Do-Wins fit perfectly and my first experience with lifting shoes was a revelation. They feel just a tad too high for deadlifts, though, which makes me think I would've been happier with the Rips. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by kpoff View Post
    I like my RIPs as well. Although, I wear a size 13 running shoe and when I ordered the RIPS I ordered a 13 per the advice of Rogue, whom have great customer survice and they are a little big....but I make due.

I wear them to snatch, squat, clean, jerk, press, deadlift, you name it.

Any advice on how to get them to fit more snug?
    Two pairs of socks?

Or contact Rogue about an exchange. They sell half sizes for a reason. Not sure if it applies to the RIPS, but with their Do-Wins they specifically state that if they don't fit they'll do an exchange. Keeping in mind they'll need to be in like new condition no doubt.

I just got my shoes in the mail, but I haven't worked out in them yet. I walked around my living room a bit. My immediate impressions are:

1. They are a bit snug. I wear a 9 in casual shoes and can wear an 8.5 relatively comfortably. I bought a 9 and they seem to be a bit snug in terms of width. I am, however, new to metatarsal strap and so that could be creating the impression of snuggness. Er, it could be increasing the overall snuggacity of the shoes? I'm not completely sure how to express that ...

2. Aesthetics: All business. These aren't stylish, but there is something about these that roars "let's lift the fuck out of some heavy stuff", which is fortunate because I intend to do so.

3. Build: Sturdy. The toe feels reinforced. I actually squeeze tested it to verify if it was steel toed. It was not, but it'd be awesome if it was.

4. The sole feels solid. To be honest, it feels as if I'm wearing my All Stars, but more substantial. Again, I'm not sure how to describe it other than that. I definitely feel the greater support.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
    3. Build: Sturdy. The toe feels reinforced. I actually squeeze tested it to verify if it was steel toed. It was not, but it'd be awesome if it was.
    You'd think so, until the reason you think steel toed weighting lifting shoes would be a good idea, and you drop weight on your toes... and cut them off due to the steel toe.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IDRISCKY View Post
    You'd think so, until the reason you think steel toed weighting lifting shoes would be a good idea, and you drop weight on your toes... and cut them off due to the steel toe.
    The myth that steel-capped boots are dangerous to your toes if a heavy load on them was completely disproved on myth busters a few years back. Under not conditions of a crushing load is the foot not safer wearing steel-caps than not wearing them

I really don't know where that myth came from - as if a load that can destroy the boot, shear and deform the metal to push it vertically down and cut off your toes wouldn't smash your toes to little bits anyway? Steel is a whole lot stronger than leather

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast