starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Injury prone?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Your back is in flexion as it comes off the floor in the deadlift, but your squats look pretty good, if a little too vertical. What was the original back diagnosis?

Moderate disc protrusion L5/S1

Is the deadlift flexion so bad that it would cause the kind of back issues I describe?

I worked out last night, did a lot of core shit: planks, supermans. Did a lot of stretching and did chins, pushups, C2 row machine, air squats. No actual weightlifting, took some ibuprofen last night and will probably take it all week. I deadlifted light Sunday 135x5x8 , focusing on strict form and my back was a mess the next day. Do you think I should continue on with light deadlifting? If so what frequency with light weights and how many reps?

I think you may be aggravating it with all the "core" shit you're doing.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/abs_rippetoe.pdf

From my experience (which a search should have shown), if you absolutely must do "core" work, do back hyperextensions (because they de-load the spine as the spine goes into flexion, and there should only be minimal flexion when in the hanging (upper torso vertical) position), and captain's chair knee-raises (because they decompress the spine, which should be held in extension during execution of the exercise). I woulds also add in some type of chin / other hanging (like an inversion table) so that you can decompress your spine, which worked wonders for me when I ruptured L4/L5 and L5/S1.

That being said, you're going to have pain, and it's going to be around for a while. There is no avoiding that.

I never do that shit. Last night was the first time I have done that stuff since being on the program. I needed something to do while this back of mine heals so I figured why not do some cores exercises that don't put my spine in flexion. The exercises I mentioned above don't do that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1981 View Post

Is the deadlift flexion so bad that it would cause the kind of back issues I describe?
    I'm no Rippetoe, but even my inexperienced eye says yes, definitely

Quote Originally Posted by JB1981 View Post
    I worked out last night, did a lot of core shit: planks, supermans.
    I jsut finished reading one of Dr Stuart McGill's books (look him up, he is the man when it comes to back injuries), and he says that the superman movement is one of the worst things one can do when attempting to rehab low back issues, because of the way it squeezes and aggravates the discs. Don't do it.

Instead, he recommends the bird-dog for building low back strength. Hold each rep about 8 seconds. Better yet, don't believe me, look him up and buy one of his books, it should be one of the better investments you ever make into your back health. As well as breaking pig spines to determine the different ways that loads are dealt with in, he uses actual human cadavers and breaks their spines as well. For the good of science! I found his books to be a great companion to rips

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123