Rips Shoulder Rips Shoulder - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 81

Thread: Rips Shoulder

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    43,231

    Default

    • wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by macetini View Post
    So is the bench press completely out?

    It is for me. Does this make you sad?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,244

    Default

    It's actually kind of refreshing to see posters obsess over a bodypart of yours that isn't your nuts, Rip.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    301

    Default

    I am not sure. I have been in the same shoulder pain position (presses fine, dips and benchs hurt, push-ups not as bad) but have kept trying to do benchs--short limited comebacks followed by pain.

    Simply cutting it out on the one hand seems like it makes great sense and I can stop the madness. On the other hand--am I giving in to something I should continue to try to work through? At 54 (almost 55) am I allowing age to beat me (well, it eventually beats us all, but as far as we know--also beats the heck out of the known alternatives).

    So--I might be both happy and sad.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    43,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    It's actually kind of refreshing to see posters obsess over a bodypart of yours that isn't your nuts, Rip.
    People do seem to be fascinated by them.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrownley View Post
    Simply cutting it out on the one hand seems like it makes great sense and I can stop the madness. On the other hand--am I giving in to something I should continue to try to work through? At 54 (almost 55) am I allowing age to beat me (well, it eventually beats us all, but as far as we know--also beats the heck out of the known alternatives).
    I understand your ambivalence. But I also understand shoulder surgery. If you are not a competitive powerlifter, if you are older (whatever that means to you), and if your shoulders hurt, be aware that there is no penalty for not doing bench presses. And there may be a rather stiff penalty assessed if you continue to do them when you shouldn't.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 06-08-2011 at 01:02 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is for me. Does this make you sad?
    Men definitely place more importance on big pecs than women seem to. Personally, I find "swole" pecs kind of funny looking most of the time.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murphysboro, IL
    Posts
    29,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you are not a competitive powerlifter, if you are older (whatever that means to you), and if your shoulders hurt, be aware that there is no penalty for not doing bench presses. And there may be a rather stiff penalty assessed if you continue to do them when you shouldn't.
    Thanks for this last bit Rip. I am dealing with I hope is a minor and recoverable ding to my right delt. I have been harboring hopes of an over 60 raw PL meet, but I also know that I have this body to continue to live in for the duration. Always useful to get the full perspective in this. Happily overhead presses don't seem to give me much trouble.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    66

    Default

    It is for me. Does this make you sad?
    A little bit, yes

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    43,231

    Default

    On the occasions when I can actually sleep, it makes me happy that my shoulders do not wake me up.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It is for me. Does this make you sad?
    I don't know why, but this actually does make me sad. Perhaps I'm spending too much time on these boards. And here I was going to ask if you would consider opening up a Starting Strength Chat Room.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    301

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the perspective--I have no visions of power lifting. So--bench's are gone! I know presses also work the chest--any other exercises that are relatively pain free for impacted shoulders?

    Thanks again--Bill

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •