starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rep failures as a novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    1) Don't bastardize the program. Stress form on every rep of every lift of every training session. Push presses are not presses. Adding weight when you fail to complete the reps is not the program.

2) Do you have something against the wonderful anabolic properties of red meat? F*** chicken and tuna. Buy bulk red meat, preferably the kind that is loaded with growth hormones and pray to sweet baby jesus that some of those hormones made it into the meat. Add a gallon of growth hormone infused whole milk per day and that's icing on the cake.

3) Find a good hardcore gym (strength-training oriented or strength based crossfit gym) and a good training partner (or two) that is stronger than you. Your atmosphere needs to change in order to continue making progress. Atmosphere, imo, is as important as anything else - be it program, food intake, etc.

Hey what is going on? I hear so many people complaining about the price of decent food... how do you guys afford to work out and use the internet if you can't afford frickin ground beef?! It must also suck to not have cell phones or cable tv, because surely you would not prioritize those things over basic nutrition. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by SaraSaraT View Post
    Hey what is going on? I hear so many people complaining about the price of decent food... how do you guys afford to work out and use the internet if you can't afford frickin ground beef?! It must also suck to not have cell phones or cable tv, because surely you would not prioritize those things over basic nutrition. Right?
    I spend $35/mo on membership to my ratty gym. Internet connectivity is $30/mo or something. My grocery budget is $1k/month. Which do you think I'm likely to complain about?

Surely you wouldn't be an arrogant ass and imply that some of us would prioritize entertainment over food, right? Oh wait, you are and you just did.

Pull your head out of your ass for a second and reflect on your comments and what they imply. Some of us have a hard time making ends meet. Not all of us are blessed with successful parents or a silver platter. So, we opt for cheaper sources of protein such as milk, eggs, and peanut butter. You have a wide array of members on this forum: High school kids, college aged students, people just starting their careers, and people from other countries who don't have the same standard of living that we do in the U.S. Not all of those members can feasibly buy higher quality meat. Some can't even buy meat regularly. But, of course, your egocentrism is preventing you from looking beyond, right?

Now sit back and reflect on that for a second, and then ask yourself if your implications are still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    Surely you wouldn't be an arrogant ass and imply that some of us would prioritize entertainment over food, right? Oh wait, you are and you just did.

Pull your head out of your ass for a second and reflect on your comments and what they imply. Some of us have a hard time making ends meet. Not all of us are blessed with successful parents or a silver platter. So, we opt for cheaper sources of protein such as milk, eggs, and peanut butter. You have a wide array of members on this forum: High school kids, college aged students, people just starting their careers, and people from other countries who don't have the same standard of living that we do in the U.S. Not all of those members can feasibly buy higher quality meat. Some can't even buy meat regularly. But, of course, your egocentrism is preventing you from looking beyond, right?

Now sit back and reflect on that for a second, and then ask yourself if your implications are still valid.
    Ahahahaa... I don't even know where to start!! Surely you aren't being an arrogant ass suggesting that the only reason some people can afford food is because they have rich parents or some kind of 'silver platter'?

I think there are a lot of people who prioritize entertainment over food, I have no idea if that is you or not. Frankly, I don't really care.

Thanks for suggesting that I reflect on what I implied. Yep, still agree with what I said. Don't give me some whiny ass comments about how some people can't afford to buy meat. This is a "I'm on the internet trying to figure out how to get effing strong" forum, not a "Rip, help me figure out how to afford basic stuff like FOOD" pity party forum.

Also - I don't like that you called me arrogant and ego-centric. That's just not nice. I'm neither of those things.

She's really not. She just doesn't know you guys yet.

I think there are a lot of people who prioritize entertainment over food, I have no idea if that is you or not. Frankly, I don't really care.

Thanks for suggesting that I reflect on what I implied. Yep, still agree with what I said. Don't give me some whiny ass comments about how some people can't afford to buy meat. This is a "I'm on the internet trying to figure out how to get effing strong" forum, not a "Rip, help me figure out how to afford basic stuff like FOOD" pity party forum.

Also - I don't like that you called me arrogant and ego-centric. That's just not nice. I'm neither of those things.
    If you would actually read my post I gave more than a couple of examples as why people can't afford better sources of protein (notice you wrote "food"). I will repeat them for you: high school kids (without a job these individuals are limited to their parents choice of food); college aged students (this is an interesting group. These students can have access to a lot or very little depending on their local. Suffice to say, there are many who live off of Ramen and Macaroni and Cheese for 4 years of college); people just starting their careers (these individuals can be struggling to make ends meet because of mortgages, utilities, car payments, insurance, gas, and a multitude of other costs that come with people joining the workforce for their first time. It's easier for them to cut costs in their food bill as oppose to the car payment); and people from other countries (Do you have any idea what the costs of food is in, let's say Mexico? Do you know how much an average worker gets paid a week? Of course you don't, but I'll be happy to tell you. The average worker in Mexico gets paid anywhere from 70-250 dollars a week (this is assuming a wide spectrum from blue to white collar workers. That's it. You've got to both survive off of that and pay whatever bills you have, and food is still expensive. So, how do you cope? You buy staple goods: beans, rice, and tortillas. Not exactly the best for strength gains, but you do what you gotta do. But, you never bothered to stop and think about that now did you? Some of us actually live in other countries, and the standard of living isn't uniform across continents or even in the same continent) By the way, those staple crops also exist in the U.S. Among the list includes dairy (the milk I mentioned) and peanuts (peanut butter). Again, not primary choices of protein sources if you're looking to stay leaner, but they're cheap.

I'm glad that you "think" there are a lot of people who prioritize entertainment over food. But, what you "think" and what is, may or may not be the same thing. Furthermore, the implication was that people that were speaking on THIS forum were doing so, not people in general. So, you're assuming that those of us who are here to get strong are willfully neglecting arguably the 1st-2nd most important aspect to strength, which is nutrition. That doesn't make sense to me, why would it to you? People are going to work hard in the weightroom in order to get strong, but then they're going to eat like shit because they want to watch TV or surf the internet? Your argument holds no water.... shit, there isn't even a bucket handle to hold.

So, you can keep on agreeing with what you said (And, that's what makes your arrogant). Let me know when you find any example of this type of person on this forum.

And, my comments are hardly whiny, nor are they intended for a pity party. Did I, or anyone else, ask anyone on this forum about how or where to purchase food? Nope.

I work my ass off in the weightroom and in school, so it is an annoyance for someone to get so self-centered, arrogant, and in your case, ignorant to presume that people are choosing to buy lower-quality food despite investing time and money into strength training. Some of us just don't have the means. Now I understand that may be hard for you to believe because experience has shown you that either A) People are lazy and prefer watching TV, B) You haven't had to choose between better quality food or paying bills, C) You've had things handed to you, or D) You lived on a ranch your whole life and just killed a steer anytime you wanted some meat. Whatever the case is, know that your limited experience doesn't encompass the cumulative experience of everyone on this forum.

And, if you don't like the labels, I suggest you present yourself in a manner that doesn't warrant them.

P.S. If your curious on my source about weekly income in Mexico, I lived there for 12 years and worked for 5 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    She's really not. She just doesn't know you guys yet.
    I didn't read this post until after I submitted my other one. You can just delete my first one, and forget I said anything. I'll take your word for it.

Who is she?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by halbritt View Post
    My grocery budget is $1k/month.
    I bought grassfed ground beef for 4.35/lb from a farmer last week. If you could get a similar price 1000 gets you 230lbs / month or over 7 pounds of meat a day. I think you're paying too much for food.

Also I don't think peanuts, whatever their protein content can even begin to substitute for meat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast