starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for your opinion/advice from experience

Default Looking for your opinion/advice from experience

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip,

I have read your a clarification article, a few of your t-nation articles (also SS) and I also found a response from you on a kind of similar question on this forum, but its not really the same so I though Id ask.

In one of your t-nation articles you mentioned that if someone has been training shitty and hasnt made those beginner size gains, that there is still time, however the older you are the harder or further away from them you are.

Ill try to keep this short and to the point.

I started out at 154Ibs the first time I went through and got up to 182-185Ibs once Id reach the 300Ibs on the squat, however my waist went from 34inch (about 13% BF) upto 39inch (fat as fuck, most of it was sure to be fat) it was around this time I was injured (not weight lifting related). I ended up losing most of the weight gained, now I sit around 165Ibs, everytime I get back upto the 300Ibs mark I am injured (90% of the time not weightlifting related).

Each time after Im injured I work my way back up but I dont seem to put on weight admittedly, I dont consume as many calories (I leave out GOMAD) as I did the first time, as that first time around I certainly didnt meet what you described in a clarification.

I am only 5'9", in the end Im wondering someone in my situation who ate obviously too much food the first time around and has gotten up to the 300+/- each time Ive worked back up before an injury but hasnt gained that "beginners" muscle mass, is it still possible for them to gain that mass?

A few other things that may affect your answer, Im 26, each time around I have not needed to delaod the squat at all to get to that number (Im sure injuries acted like a deload though). This is the 4th time I have worked back up, its a strange coincidence that I seem to get injured around that weight.

What would your advice be to someone in my situation, besides stop getting injued because believe me Id love to not get injured. Is it still possible to make those beginner gains? Both muscle and more strength?

I know this is my first post but before now I havent had much of a reason to post anything.

I also realise there may be some people who will want to flame me for asking such a question but Mark is a big boy and can do that himself if he wishes, although I hope you dont Mark.

Thank you for your advice.

Repeated injury most often indicates a significant form problem.

Ive only had one injury from training, which youre correct was a form issue, the rest were from sporting injuries.

You believe it is still possible for someone in that situation to gain the beginner 30Ibs you talk about?

But you mention that every time you get back to 300 you get hurt. Is it the previous injury or is is the squat?

Oh, I see what you mean, the way I wrote that didnt make sense.

I meant that its just a coincidence I always get injured around that weight. The first time I broke my hand, second time I broke my foot (both in seperate sporting events) and the third time was the form injury, which was a stupid mistake, lapse in concentration. Which resulted in damage to my facet joints in my thoracic which was probably exacerbated by the fact that I have spinal fusion from t1-t12.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But you mention that every time you get back to 300 you get hurt. Is it the previous injury or is is the squat?
    I think he's correlating injuries associated in other activities to times when he is squatting "heavy."

This is common when someone is fatigued. So I think this would be a recovery issue. Meaning, he's tired from lifting weights, and fatigued enough that his gained muscular strength cannot protect him during the other activities that he undertakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson.hunt View Post
    I meant that its just a coincidence I always get injured around that weight. The first time I broke my hand, second time I broke my foot (both in seperate sporting events) and the third time was the form injury, which was a stupid mistake, lapse in concentration. Which resulted in damage to my facet joints in my thoracic which was probably exacerbated by the fact that I have spinal fusion from t1-t12.
    And I mean that it may not be a coincidence. And yeah, the part about the spinal fusion might be germane here. Harrington rods?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And I mean that it may not be a coincidence. And yeah, the part about the spinal fusion might be germane here. Harrington rods?
    You think once I get to that weight, there might be a weakening or something which causes fractures to occur easier than usual?

Yeah Harrington rods.myxray.jpg

Fractures??? Brain cancer too??

starting strength coach development program
    yeah I fractured t6-t10, burst fractures. I dont get the brain cancer comment though....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast