starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rips Shoulder

Default Rips Shoulder

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip,

Few mounts back, on this forum there was a question about Mumford procedure. You responded that you had this kind of operation done on both of your shoulders, last one not so long ago and you had to ditch horizontal pressing for some time. I'm kinda curious, about the state of It now. Can you bench? If not now, do you believe It will be possible in the future?

Thank you

Last time I tried to bench it hurt pretty bad with 95 lbs. Dips don't hurt while I'm doing them, but they hurt later and wake me up. Presses, on the other hand, don't hurt at all. Last night I did 190 x 1 x 2, 192 x 1, 193.5 x 1, 195 x 1, and 197 x 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Last time I tried to bench it hurt pretty bad with 95 lbs. Dips don't hurt while I'm doing them, but they hurt later and wake me up. Presses, on the other hand, don't hurt at all. Last night I did 190 x 1 x 2, 192 x 1, 193.5 x 1, 195 x 1, and 197 x 1.
    This could be bordering on silly, but how do pushups feel?

Kinda in the same boat here. Separated my shoulder six mounts ago and bench is still iffy. Last time did it with 3x5x90kg (pre-injury max was around 130kg). Dips hurt a little while doing them, but more later on. Still, its getting better, just not fast as I would like it. No pain whatsoever on press. Good luck with your rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    They hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by macetini View Post
    Good luck with your rehab.
    I'd say I'm done with that.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    I don't think it's silly. It hurts to bench, but I can do dips and pushups just fine without any pain at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zephed56 View Post
    I don't think it's silly. It hurts to bench, but I can do dips and pushups just fine without any pain at all.
    This is more or less what I'm getting at. Given the overlap in forces experienced at the shoulder between a bench and pushup, all else constant, finding some way to preserve horizontal pushing type movements in a pain-free way may enable the adoption of other horizontal pushes over time as the shoulder adapts to said stresses.

If somebody can push overhead, I'd be curious at what point things hurt again moving from vertical to horizontal. I.e. does a steep incline bench (perhaps even dumbbell) hurt? No? Perhaps that movement can be performed, and moving things progressively horizontal over time may become possible.

I realize this logic isn't necessarily valid, insofar as adaptation is not unlimited, particularly in the case of structural abnormalities, but it's about as good of a way of moving back towards a bench as I can think of in a case like this.

If I were dealing with a younger person or an athlete that needed strength in that direction, I'd do something to work them back in. But I personally don't miss the bench press. I wish I could do dips, because that makes my press stronger, and it has been a problem in my attempt to get the press up to 220.

So is the bench press completely out?

starting strength coach development program
    I had the end of my clavicle cut on as part of a shoulder surgery in August of last year. When I was cleared for weight training. I started bench pressing with the bar and began adding 10 pounds per session until I reached 135. At that point it seemed counterproductive to continue increasing the weight due to the pain. I didn't bench press for couple months. The repair has continued to heal. I recently did one set of 5 w/185. I expect it will eventually be pain free during the bench press, but prior to the injury wich resulted in the surgery I could not progress both the bench press and the press without pain in the AC joint.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast