starting strength gym

Thread: Light squat within the framework of SS

Default Light squat within the framework of SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Howdy Mark,

In 'The Novice' chapter of PPST2 on page 110 it's mentioned that once a back-off period has become necessary additional changes can be made to the SS model to prolong linear progression for the advanced novice. Incorporating a light squat on Wednesday at 80% of Monday's weight is suggested.

I'm heading into a second deload at the moment due to a bout of sickness and exams messing around with my ability to train consistently. I'm not at the point yet where I require any more sophisticated volume/intensity manipulation but I think incorporating a light squat would help me prolong my gains. (I'm squatting around 290lbsx5 at close to 210lbs and 6'1'')

I was wondering whether incorporating a light squat on Wednesday had any potential downside other than reducing a rate of progress that might otherwise be faster. If a trainee was satisfied to make a slower 10lbs of progress a week on the squat as opposed to 15lbs, would there be any downsides to this?

Arboresque.

Are you talking about a trainee in your situation, or for the novice period in general?

My situation is obviously my priority and why I'm asking.

Of course how this relates to trainees in other stages of novice progression is something I'd be interested in hearing if you were willing to give a few words on it.

Arboresque.

Similar to the OP's question Mark, is a front squat (at full weight, not 80%) a good subsitute for a light squat, for prolonging gains and minimising low back volulme? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arboresque View Post
    My situation is obviously my priority and why I'm asking.
    Yes, obviously. Silly of me. If you want to slow down to 10 pound jumps every week, there would be no adverse side effects except possibly wasted time. This is not recommended for the general novice population because it's not necessary for most novices and most people fuck around too much already.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinnnnnn View Post
    Similar to the OP's question Mark, is a front squat (at full weight, not 80%) a good subsitute for a light squat, for prolonging gains and minimising low back volulme? Thanks
    Unless you are an Olympic weightlifter who must front squat because of the sport, leaving out a bunch of muscle mass makes no more sense than wasting a bunch of time. I don't program front squats for any athletes except weightlifters, a change which is reflected in newer editions of PPST.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 06-16-2011 at 09:10 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, obviously. Silly of me. If you want to slow down to 10 pound jumps every week, there would be no adverse side effects except possibly wasted time. This is not recommended for the general novice population because it's not necessary for most novices and most people fuck around too much already.
    Yeah, understandable. Thanks for the help Mark.

Cheers,

Arboresque.