starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rep failures as a novice

Default rep failures as a novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi. I was a 6'2 155lb guy, completely new to physical exertion sans a year of distance running in high school, before I began changing my eating and starting a crappy dumbbell/bodyweight work while I waited for a good deal for real weights to begin ss. I did the crappy workout until 5 weeks ago when I immediately switched to standard ss.

progress has been overall good

i started at:

s 115
    b 80
    dl 115
    p 65
    pc 75

and am now:

s 190
    b 125
    dl 225
    p 95
    pc 110

I am mainly wondering what is the best way to proceed when you aren't hitting all of your work sets? I have had instances where I've muscled through and added weight anyways after failing on last rep of a couple sets with some success, other times not so much.

I feel like all of my lifts sans deadlift and powerclean have all been hitting failure far more than I should be at this level of training which is highly demoralizing. In week 3 my hip flexors felt so stressed and sore I couldn't get past warmups in my squats, among many random stops that have caused my deadlift to significantly pass my squat even though they started at the same weight. I've also had bench fails which haven't really hampered adding weight and press fails which have occasionally made me take an extra day.

In your trainees is it common to not be able to get the extra 5 lbs every time they hit the weights? Going at this inexperienced and with no help, I don't exactly get the comfort of what is considered "normal" progression.

My diet has been for the most part flax oil, multivitamin, 4 peanut butter sandwiches, gomad, and a couple eggs a day. dinner occasionally replaced with chicken/beef or something that seems more protein dense. I'm now 188lbs. Throwing this out here so you can tell me to eat more if that's what is stalling me.

Lastly, when and how do I add chins/pullups to the routine? I tried adding chins at the end of a bench day and the next time I went out my 95lb presses ended up being 95lb push presses. I'm pretty sure the chins caused it.

These numbers look good, so it may be rest between sets, increment selection, or other details of the workout itself. Examine those factors carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by _2c View Post
    My diet has been for the most part flax oil, multivitamin, 4 peanut butter sandwiches, gomad, and a couple eggs a day. dinner occasionally replaced with chicken/beef or something that seems more protein dense. I'm now 188lbs. Throwing this out here so you can tell me to eat more if that's what is stalling me.
    So your diet is usually GOMAD, a few eggs, and a whole bunch of peanut butter? It sounds like your fat and carb intake are much higher than your protein intake. Stop being lazy with the peanut butter and buy family size packs of beef. Fat and protein.

If a trainee misses reps, aren't they supposed to keep the same weight next time?

if hip flexors are acting up, I would bet his knees are coming forward in the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    So your diet is usually GOMAD, a few eggs, and a whole bunch of peanut butter? It sounds like your fat and carb intake are much higher than your protein intake. Stop being lazy with the peanut butter and buy family size packs of beef. Fat and protein.
    Sometimes I read this shit too fast. Good catch, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by the dio View Post
    If a trainee misses reps, aren't they supposed to keep the same weight next time?

Five weeks in and missing reps is a programming problem. Hip flexors are a form problem. And 6' 2" at 188 is a problem.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 06-08-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Your assumption that it's laziness that compels him to use peanut butter, not cost effectiveness, is hasty.

Dollar to protein ratio is highest in: Peanut butter, milk, and then eggs. I would know; I've personally calculated it at several supermarkets and warehouses.

While red/white meat and fish may be better in terms of protein to calorie content, economics play a role in people's decision.

Starting French: Basic Prepositions Training

I'm not from Canadia and haven't taken French in 15 years but what's all this "sans" stuff ? isn't it "sauf" in this usage? http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/except

sans = without
    sauf = except

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    Your assumption that it's laziness that compels him to use peanut butter, not cost effectiveness, is hasty.

Dollar to protein ratio is highest in: Peanut butter, milk, and then eggs. I would know; I've personally calculated it at several supermarkets and warehouses.
    Yes. i'll be adding chicken/tuna meals every day for now though.

veryhrm

Starting French: Basic Prepositions Training

I'm not from Canadia and haven't taken French in 15 years but what's all this "sans" stuff ? isn't it "sauf" in this usage? http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/except
    No idea if I had proper usage(nor if it is French origin, but I've always thought of it as the same as except or without.

Anyways, I tried some squats where I "pushed" my knees outwards as I went down and it seems to feel more proper. Squats have always felt awkward in the sense that ontop of my muscles getting tired I had "sharp" pains. Pushing the knees seems to have fixed this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast