starting strength gym

Thread: Wtf

Default Wtf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

Taking summer classes at Villanova University, and got to talking to a classmat about lifting. He told me he has a gym in his garage and was so motivated from lifting that he switched his career to S&C. I let him borrow my copy of SS 2nd Edition and asked him about his involvement with S&C of the VU basketball team. Three days later he returned the book with the comments of, good book but a bit too scientific and our basketball team could never do squats. I bypassed the too scientific part and asked why no squatting? He said that three reasons: 1) The long arms and legs make squatting difficult. 2) The need to jump so we do more plyometrics 3) the season is too long (Oct-Apr) to do squats throughout the season. 4) When the players did want to squat, the couldn't walk the weight out (b/c they used the same weight as the leg press). I went further to ask what about C&J or variants (PC)? No because again the body type doesn't lend itself to those types of mechanics & they do a lot of jumping on the court. Finally I asked them what the S&C gurus do for the b-ball players for weightlifting. The answer - leg press & Pylometrics. WTF Just WTF man!

He should have stayed with the Sociology degree.

Sounds like he has a bright future with LA Fitness.

What did he mean by not being able to walk the weight out because it's the same weight as the leg press?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He should have stayed with the Sociology degree.
    Are you sure he should be in college at all?

Critical thinking courses do still exist, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    What did he mean by not being able to walk the weight out because it's the same weight as the leg press?
    People who leg press 500lbs think they can squat 500lbs. They unrack the bar, and great lulz ensue.

The only thing I would agree with this guy about would be the season being too long. However, I don't think it's the season being too long as the guys travel a lot and don't have enough time to recover from squatting heavy during the season. Also, these kids are on full scholarship (it only pays for so much food) and also don't have the ability to eat enough. But in the off season basketball players would greatly benefit from a squat program. Usually they do alot of individual work on skills and play full court less than in season.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks to all replies. On reflection of this post I think that I should have challenged this man's understanding instead of just walking away shaking my head. Especially because he is not looking into LA Fitness, but is going to Michigan State University (Spartans) for a six week internship.