starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check 13 yo and his dad

Default Squat Check 13 yo and his dad

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've spent a few sessions working with my son squatting with just a rod, today he started with a 10 kg bar. Can you please take a look at his form?

Also, and less importantly, can you take a look at mine? I worked up to 275, but I wasn't getting deep enough so I started over at 225. This is 250, and I feel like I'm bouncing off my hamstrings, but it does not look like I'm getting below parallel.

Your books and website have been immensely helpful to me--in a month, I've gained 18 lbs and significant strength, thank you very much. I have never been stronger than I was in high school until now (25 yrs later).

The kiddo is letting his knees track WAAAAY too far forward. Sit him back and lean him over more to compensate. His depth is good. You, on the other hand, are about 4" high.

Thank you! Cody knows who you are, and is thrilled to get guidance from you.

I had no idea that I wasn't going below parallel until I saw that video. I restarted my squat at 175 today, did what I thought was ass to ankles, and I think I'm just below parallel (maybe not on the first rep).

They still look a little high to me. Bad camera angle maybe.

definately high. your son should roll up his toes in his shoes to put the weight more where it needs to be (the heels). you could try this to, might help with depth.

The weight should be over the mid-foot, not the heels. Depth is most usually acquired with knees-out.

Cody with corrections:

Dad:

Have you read the book, and have you compared these videos to the hundreds that have been posted on this board? Cody's knees are way too far forward, the video is cleverly shot to conceal his depth with the rack. Dan is barefoot, high, and on his toes.

I have read the book and gone through dozens of videos in this forum. I've read the squat chapter several times and assumed I understood it well until my video showed that I'm not nearly breaking parallel. I appreciate your input and understand I've got work to do. I was barefoot because I was in flip flops helping Cody with his workout and wanted to get a video of what I thought was improved form.

Everywhere you or someone else talks about the knees being too far forward i dont understand how to correct this--i thought the angle of the back would control how far the knees went (though you haven't said this in anything i've read). I tried to bring Cody's knees back by increasing his forward lean. I'll try the 2x4 in front of his foot in his next workout.

starting strength coach development program
    That would be my suggestion. And tell him to try squatting down with his shins vertical. That should stimulate some hip activity.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 06-16-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast