starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Video: The RDL

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks for the vid. Mark.

Small question about Josh, my lower back is somewhat similar to his, whenever I set the lower back and I get it on video I can visually see the lumbar extension, even if it's viewed from a distance (and I usually train with large cotton shirts nothing too tight).

I understand that the ultimate starting position should be a flat back for the deadlift as it's mechanically more efficient, but I normally don't get there, and I don't think it's because I never used a heavy enough weight.
    I think I have an overextended lumbar, is there any problem with Josh's starting position? what would you have someone with over extension do as a cue?

My dead stop deadlift is 405 for a double, and 385 for 5, am going to start TM in a couple of months... current BW is 218 at 6'1

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    How would one incorporate RDL's in a TM program? The goal being to help pushing the deadlift, that is.
    You might Put them in for power cleans every other time, depending on your emphasis. But as a general rule, if you don't know where they'd fit i n your program, you probably aren't ready to do them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Schylito View Post

3. To bounce a deadlift is always a bad idea, just as it is a bad idea to bounce the bar of the ribcage during a bench press. But I think the same control that allows a touch-and-go on the bench press can be used to deadlift. I think it's certainly possible to maintain all the components of a solid dead as the bar is lowered back down to set up an immediate next rep.
    Except that NOBODY does them this way.

4. The concentric contraction coming out of the hole in the squat is made harder because it is preceded by the negative.
    Did you actually mean to say this, or is this a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by David_G View Post

I understand that the ultimate starting position should be a flat back for the deadlift as it's mechanically more efficient, but I normally don't get there, and I don't think it's because I never used a heavy enough weight.
    I think I have an overextended lumbar, is there any problem with Josh's starting position? what would you have someone with over extension do as a cue?
    An RDL stretches the hamstrings very hard because of the almost-straight knees and the emphasis on lower back extension. The movement fails at heavy weight due to loss of lumbar extension. You have to try to stay overextended to maintain normal extension at the bottom of the hamstrings' ROM. This is just fine, since some loosening of the overextension will occur as the set progresses and fatigue sets in.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 06-18-2011 at 12:54 PM.

How bout using light weight RDLs for a lumbar disc injury rather than a traditional deadlift?

That's been done too. Easier to get in a proper lumbar extension that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's been done too. Easier to get in a proper lumbar extension that way.
    First thing I thought of when I saw Josh doing these (though he does get into better lumbar extension than most).

I think I will start doing these with very light weight. I wish I had understood what real lumbar extension meant before ever attempting a single deadlift.

What is the benefit of an RDL over the Glute Ham Raise with regard to strengthening the posterior chain? Is this a matter of personal preference or do the two exercises work in different ways to strengthen the hamstrings and lower back?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But as a general rule, if you don't know where they fit in your program, you probably aren't ready to do them yet.
    This statement seems to have a certain axiomatic glow about it, illuminating areas beyond the range of current discussion....

Enjoyed the video, Rip. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mike391 View Post
    What is the benefit of an RDL over the Glute Ham Raise with regard to strengthening the posterior chain? Is this a matter of personal preference or do the two exercises work in different ways to strengthen the hamstrings and lower back?
    The RDL is a barbell exercise that can be loaded as such, with your feet on the floor and the barbell in your hands, like other barbell exercises. GHRs are not, and they cause the spine to flex and extend, not like your spine is designed to do.

So are you saying that GHRs are therefore unsafe, Rip?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by forgeforth View Post

Notes:
    If and when someone spots the orangutan, please let me know, as I did not see it this time.
    The furry devil is located in, what I can only assume is, the chalk stand, which is located at the corner of the room. It's fairly easy to see at the end of the video since it's no longer occluded by Wells or Rip.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast