starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diet Question. Yes, I read A Clarification.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jep6095 View Post
    My 10 year old was expected to pass a test that covered proper writing skills including capitalization. Say what you will about Texas public schools...at least they're better than the education 'john of moss' received.

jp
    I would bet that it has more to do with the rise of texting.

The point is to eat enough to recover, and to err on the side of too much so that progress continues to be driven.

Stop adding sets. The workouts will get hard enough, trust me. Adding volume when it feels easy isn't accomplishing anything.

Have you read the books? That is, SS, PP et al?

Quote Originally Posted by Sven Draconian View Post
    (snips)...So yes, it's neccessary to eat that much, to gain the fat to tell your body it's alright to add LBM.
    Most, or at least many of the people here are familiar with this principle. But I have to say this is one of the more lucid and succinct explanations of the concept that I've encountered. Suitable for 5-year-olds. I mean that in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by johndemoss View Post
    i just meant i added back off sets.
    I know. YNDTP.

I agree with Sully: this was pretty good, and bears repeating:

Your body isn't going to add LBM until it feels secure, which means fatter (since fat is stored energy afterall). That's why you need to get to 17...18....19% on "The Program." You need to work through the "growth" range (mid teens). Once you get through that zone, you can dial it back and hover right in that range. But you won't know you were in it until you pass it (assuming, of course, you are an inexperienced lifter).

So yes, it's neccessary to eat that much, to gain the fat to tell your body it's alright to add LBM.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 07-03-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog View Post
    Most, or at least many of the people here are familiar with this principle. But I have to say this is one of the more lucid and succinct explanations of the concept that I've encountered. Suitable for 5-year-olds. I mean that in a good way.
    There's an equally misunderstood concept that you must cut calories to lose fat when it's the hormonal system that regulates fat storage. The corollary to Sven's Maxim for gaining LBM goes along the lines of, "yes, it's necessary to eat that much good food (including saturated fats) to tell your body that there is no famine and it's alright to access its fat stores."

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by johndemoss View Post
    As far as intensity, today I added a little more volume to the workout after my work sets, as I felt like I wasn't getting taxed enough.
    Feels like is bullshit.

I could (and in fact, when I was a teenager, this is what I did) lift, wait until I wasn't sore at all, then lift again, which would guarantee I was sore after every session. Which certainly makes you feel like you worked out hard. But if I trained through the soreness, I stopped getting sore and I was able to lift with greater frequency and got a lot better results. Running yourself into the ground does not mean you will get better results. If it did, every athlete would go all out, all the time.

Now, if you like feeling like you work hard, you can do different stuff. But, crucially, you'll be doing The DeMoss Pain Program, not Starting Strength. You might get better results, you might get worse, but you can't attribute success or failure to a program that you aren't doing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123