starting strength gym

Thread: Bench press technique for uneven scapula after old AC injury.

Default Bench press technique for uneven scapula after old AC injury.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rippetoe:

8 years ago I suffered an AC separation that was improperly treated at the time and has since resulted in my left humerus and scapula sitting noticeably lower than the right. As a result, my left scapula drifts much further back when contracting my traps. I have regained full ROM since the injury with the only noticeable defects manifesting as an occasional "click" after heavy presses. However, I'm having issues bench pressing properly as I progress in weight, because I can't maintain an even platform while posting on my shoulder blades.

In this thread...

http://startingstrength.com/resource...?t=8666&page=1

...you suggested the OP continue training as usual, and what could be fixed through muscular development would be fixed in time. In my case, the joint is permanently separated and would require reconstructive surgery to remedy my scapular issues.

At this point, I'm planning on training as usual, but can you recommend any technique tweaks for the bench press to address the issue of asymmetric scapula? I have found that a slightly wider grip to the left side or placing a folded towel on one half of the bench to raise my right side has helped, but I'm unsure of the long term affects of either of these options.

If it's relevant to the discussion, I've been doing chinups as you recommend for additional shoulder strength, and have begun incorporating power snatches (alternating with power cleans) as well.

Thanks for your time.

I think you can count on using a different elbow angle on each side too. Beyond that, I have no idea about this situation, except to say that if it doesn't hurt you're probably mot destroying anything. Shoulders are incredibly talented at telling you when they're really injured.

Thanks for the reply. I had suspected as much but figured I'd ask, as from what I've read on the boards you've had plenty of experience with bum shoulders. The snatches also seem to be helping more than anything at the moment so I'm just going to keep moving forward until I have a legitimate reason not to.

Snatches are amazingly easy on the shoulders. I was doing them 7 weeks post-op after my first shoulder surgery. Standard PT thinking on shoulder rehab is so thoroughly wrong that -- and I say this again -- it should be made illegal.

I couldn't agree more. Every bit of traditional PT thinking has left me in the state I am today: a poorly constructed joint with a strength disproportion in overhead movements; sure, my ROM is pretty much back to normal, but what good is ROM if I can't bear a load? Once I realized that the only thing holding me back from snatching/cleaning/pressing properly was a bitch mentality, everything has been fine. I still have a few minor tweaks for comfort (ie: I drop from a snatch rack without unlocking my wrist on my bum side), but otherwise everything is fine. I've since also found a gym full of competitive oly lifters, and just being in that atmosphere has been awesome for my training.

Happy 4th, and thanks again for your work; it's given me method to seriously train myself for the better.