starting strength gym

Thread: about toes out

Default about toes out

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mr Rippetoe,
    in the book you show two pictures to show the toes out thing in two different stances. If you were to tell a person to stand erect at a specific stance width and place his toes wherever he felt most comfortable and strong, would this be the correct toes out position, that is, do the feet take their place naturally at each specific stance width?

Most people achieve adequate external femoral rotation at a toe angle that is more out than a normal stance at squatting width. Some external rotation occurs normally as width increases, but not usually enough for full hip activation.

Not that Rip needs validation from me, but I think his comments are extremely accurate. A recent thread about hip bursitis reinforces the point and I have personally experienced the injury due to not taking a slightly more "toes out" position. I think if most of us just stood up, paused for a second and squatted down without a bar we would not have the sufficient external femoral rotation necessary for a heavy squat. It seemed a little contradicting at first, but repeated antidotal evidence seems to support the need for focused external rotation (more than might naturally occur).