starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form check: Back squat (Jack)

Default Form check: Back squat (Jack)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I'm training a throwing athlete (discus/shot put) at my facility who went through Starting Strength and has been on a four-day split with a heavy influence on power cleans/snatches for his strength/power training. He's been squatting heavy twice per week (one FS one BS) plus some light recovery work in there sporadically based around a model heavily influenced by Practical Programming for Strength Training and some Westside concepts.

He's 6'0" 230 lbs (up from 180 about a year ago) and we think we want him to stay around 230-240 lbs and get his back squat 1RM to 500# and his power clean to 315# by the next throwing season (March 2012).

He recently did a back squat single at 425 with belt, TK knee sleeves, and VS athletics shoes on, and he said it was pretty light. We didn't go any heavier because we wanted to post this on your forum to see what you thought before he did any more heavy singles.

Thanks for your input.

Looks like his stance is asymmetrical, right foot back too far. Needs to keep chest up better, which shouldn't be a problem with a weight this light for him.

The asymmetrical stance is weird. I have pointed it out before; it comes and goes. I'll be sure to reinforce that along with the chest up cues. Thanks.

You pointed it out and he did not correct it? How/when did you point it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You pointed it out and he did not correct it? How/when did you point it out?
    I did not point it out on this single, no. But it happens from time to time for some strange reason and has in the past. I've showed him video of it happening and he says that when he consciously squares his feet up, it feels strange.

He only recently started using a belt (after 4 plates), which I think might be contributing to the chest caving issues (unfamiliarity with it).

The same thing happens to me sometimes when I'm getting ready to squat, like when I try getting into the right stance I move my feet to what looks symmetrical from above, but it feel's weird/awkward for some reason, so I have to move my right foot back a bit until it feels more natural but then from above my stance looks a bit asymmetrical. I don't know why this happens.

Needs to keep chest up better, which shouldn't be a problem with a weight this light for him.
    It looks like he is driving with his hips, which results in a slight change in back angle out of the hole. Seems pretty good considering he's hitting a heavy single...oh wait.

Also, what about his knees? Do they cave in some, or am I seeing something that's not there?

Hopefully these questions and comments come across as those of someone trying to become a better coach and lifter. I appreciate your willingness to share your understanding.

Do they move a little? Sure. But this by no means constitutes a loss of ext.rotation.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 07-07-2011 at 05:57 PM.

The bar seems uneven on his back too.

starting strength coach development program
    And I hate his shorts. Look boys, it is not necessary to point out every tiny aberration that can be teased out of a short video of one set from one angle one day. It is not useful from a coaching standpoint, and all it accomplishes is that it gives you something to type about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast