starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a missed rep?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "As clean"?

Wouldn't a (power) clean be one of those lifts that's either hit or miss; meaning a definitive yes or no? Kind of like a jump, you either do it or you don't.

I mean things like not catching it as high, landing partly on the collar bone instead of completely on the shoulders, having to duck under the bar a little lower

Usually when I miss a rep or two on OHP I soldier on to the next weight up and, for the most part, I usually am able to progress with no problem.

I'm guessing then that it normal, maybe even good if you miss a squat every once in a while once you are past the novice phase... As long as it doesn't happen a lot. I always felt like I was being too conservative for the first couple of years of training the squat. I miss once in a while now though and feel like I'm using more of my potential. Hopefully this will lead to good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    I mean things like not catching it as high, landing partly on the collar bone instead of completely on the shoulders, having to duck under the bar a little lower
    A good power clean is caught on the shoulders, not the chest or in the hands, with only enough knee bend to cushion the catch, not enough to lower yourself under the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I have seen a couple of guys fall over on their asses the first day. But it is in fact uncommon for a novice that knows how to squat to miss a rep, at least until the very last stage of the period. Cut them off high, yes, but mashed in the bottom doesn't usually happen.
    Wait, what? I've been squashed and had to dump the bar on the safety pins at least 4 times in the past couple of weeks...twice at 220 and twice at 230. Is that unusual on the program?

It doesn't happen if you're actually doing the program correctly. Unless you weigh 135.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It doesn't happen if you're actually doing the program correctly. Unless you weigh 135.
    I'm eating a ton, sleeping as much as possible, increasing weight on the bar 5 lbs at a time, never missed a workout, don't do anything that would compromise my recovery on off days, limit my alcohol, gain about a pound a week, weigh 225 (and rising) at 5'11". What am I missing?

starting strength coach development program
    What is your rest time between sets? How old are you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast