starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is the decision to split on the snatch a good one?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know my situation is in no way comparable to Gillian’s, but I find this point compelling. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by michele View Post
    echoing what Spar said - the videos were extremely instructive and illuminating. thanks for sharing them, Gillian. i was hitting RELOAD all day on the forum to see your results from the meet.
    Three weeks ago, Gillian was immobile and squatting the bar. In her words, "I couldn't tie my shoe." Rip's handiwork, leadership, and guidance...I can't say enough.

We decided to post these videos in hopes that we would learn from them and document her journey into a world WE know nothing about and hopefully touch the lives of others so that they could benefit from the same.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by cpbellavia View Post
    Is splitting vs squatting something that will have a lot to do anthropometry? Ex: I'm one of those people that barely makes a 45 degree angle torso in a front squat no matter how wide (even at up to 60 degrees toes out) I try to push my toes. So for snatching, my shoulders have to go pretty far back to keep the weight over the midfoot.
    I don't know that anthropometry is involved. A short back will lean forward more in the overhead squat, but when the weight gets heavy everybody drives hips up anyway. I think it has more to do with upper back and shoulder flexibility, and why the limitation is persistent. An uninjured kid learning the lifts should be taught to squat snatch because it is more physically efficient. But it's not more efficient if you CAN'T do it, and you need to know when this is the case.

Congrats Gillian!!!

I personally have always been a crappy OH squatter and an even worse when I did a full snatch...I can do it up to about 185lbs without a problem, as these loads aren't very heavy (relative). I started split snatching on a whim about 2 years ago or so (self-taught with the aid of a Starr article) and have split snatched 205 for a double...with metal plates (it can be done...although yes it's probably dangerous). Anyway, my speed, footwork, and pull are much more explosive as I feel way more comfortable getting under the weight and I fully extend the hips every time because I am not worried about getting down into an overhead squat that is troublesome for me. FWIW I think this is from benching more than pressing when I was a PL'er. My shoulders just don't allow me to receive the bar in the OH squat position comfortably. So I'll take a good bench press and decent split snatch over a more efficient squat snatch and crappy bench since I am just trying to get stronger overall. YMMV.

Rip,

How do you feel about doing split snatches (alternating feet?) to develop athletic capacity? Or should one stick to power cleans?

Matt

starting strength coach development program
    Both are quite useful, if you're not a novice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12