starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water, a pretty dry subject

Default Water, a pretty dry subject

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark,

Ever thought about the water you drink and what the long term effects (if any) it has on the type you drink? Wellwater, springwater, distilled, etc. Reason I am asking is due to the copious amount of threads we have on nutrition here, yet, water is the one thing that can sustain life longer then all the beef in Texas can.

Being a former Culligan Man from years earlier, I was bombarded with the notion that purified water is the healthiest for you as it represents water in its most natural state. But, living in an area with hard water, I wonder on the years I missed depriving myself of possibly much needed minerals that could impact long-term health and wellness. What are other's thoughts and whether we should be taking a closer look at this? I know it probably doesn't relate directly to lifting, but the accumulation of ingesting one form of water or the other must have positive or negative effects. Or, is this thinking to far sighted that long term effects mean nothing to most people? Let this thread dry up if you may if too uninteresting for most.

I think it is important to stay hydrated, to make sure the water tastes good enough to actually drink, and to make sure it does not give you cholera. Beyond that, it's all window dressing. I already take minerals.

I just read in the local newspaper that according to a research from the Britisch medical Journal the notion that drinking 2 litres of water is good for you is a myth.
    Actually it can be damaging and there is no proof whatsoever that it is good for you

We already knew that. Because the conventional wisdom is always wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    I just read in the local newspaper that according to a research from the Britisch medical Journal the notion that drinking 2 litres of water is good for you is a myth.
    Actually it can be damaging and there is no proof whatsoever that it is good for you
    People survived a long time not knowing this. They lived simply: when they were thirsty, they drank some water; when they weren't thirsty, they didn't.

Seems to have worked well for quite a while.

I drink at least 4 liters of water a day. Am I dying?

What's great is when people drink water as some sort of weight loss tactic. Like they have some water quota to meet each day. And, of course, the people that are shocked that some bottled water comes from municipal sources, even though it says so on the goddamn bottle. Then of course they were "lying" to you, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    I drink at least 4 liters of water a day. Am I dying?
    No, but you must be very thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    People survived a long time not knowing this. They lived simply: when they were thirsty, they drank some water; when they weren't thirsty, they didn't.

Seems to have worked well for quite a while.
    Yes, simplicity and common sense is not to common. Maybe I just overthunk as I live in a pretty "hard water area" and have drank purified water for years without taking vitamins over the years. I'm sure this will catch up to me at some point.

There are areas around here where wellwater with iron and calcium are way above normal, yet they drink it unfiltered. There teeth are stained yellow, but don't you know they have no cavities and broken bones are quite rare. Anecdotal for sure, but interesting to me. I think to optimize health, drinking water in it's most natural (free of cholera and cryptosporidium) is the way to go.

starting strength coach development program
    Dirty water is the most natural.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast