starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Squat/Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It's entirely dependent on hand size and strength, not pulling strength. If my hands are rested -- which they never seem to be -- I can still pull 405 with a double overhand. I never hooked a heavy deadlift. Prolly should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's entirely dependent on hand size and strength, not pulling strength. If my hands are rested -- which they never seem to be -- I can still pull 405 with a double overhand. I never hooked a heavy deadlift. Prolly should have.
    Would it be safe to conclude, then, that one should deadlift with a grip that helps to maximize their pulling strength and abilities, regardless of what the 'strongest' grip happens to be for that individual?

Especially in the case of Oly lifters, would Oly lifters derive greater benefits from always deadlifting with a clean grip, or from lifting MORE weight with an alternate grip (and thus getting those muscles that much stronger to help with the first pull of the clean)?

Would it be safe to conclude, then, that one should deadlift with a grip that helps to maximize their pulling strength and abilities, regardless of what the 'strongest' grip happens to be for that individual?
    I'm sorry, but this reads as gibberish.

Understandable...

My question is: how well does a heavy deadlift with alternate grip transfer to cleans?

It is obvious that using a hook grip would mimic exactly the first pull of a clean/power clean; however, for some people, an alternate grip allows them to use substantially more weight. (Thus, in my mind, there is a 'struggle' between trying to deadlift as much as possible as opposed to deadlifting 100% of the time with a hook grip, even though it may limit the amount of weight that can be handled) Thanks.

The grip is not the thing that transfers or doesn't transfer. The strength is what we do these for. Strength always transfers.

Gillian told me I have a butt wink today after I PR'd my squat. We then laughed for about 5 minutes.

I'm still hoping for my butt wink video.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Strength always transfers.
    Possible life motto; thanks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234