starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat/Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat/Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I'm 5'11 175 lbs; gained 9 lbs since beginning SS. This is my last workout of the 3rd week of SS. Started squat=135 lbs and deadlift=165 lbs. These shoes are low-top basketball shoes with a hard, non-squishy bottom; I have VS Dynamo's in the mail, arriving next week.

Did I see you wearing a UF Pharmacy shirt in your last platform video? (lying triceps extension)...Just wondering.

Squat- 200 lbs
    I'm aware the angle isn't optimal, my main concern is the slight 'butt-wink' I have going on; is this over-analyzing or should I work to clean it up?

http://www.youtube.com/user/acon120#p/a/u/1/xfL270x9PtA

Deadlift- 225 lbs

http://www.youtube.com/user/acon120#p/a/u/0/A2MldD7Vhhw

Thanks for your time and for putting out phenomenal and reliable resources.

The squat looks fine except that you fail to actually stand all the way up at the top. The deadlift is too far from your shins/mid-foot when you start. Stef went to UF Pharm school, gave me a shirt.

Aside from my deadlift starting position (and the fact that I need to gain 40+ lbs), do you see anything noticeable in these videos that will hamper my ability to reach my goal of 400x5 squat and 500x5 deadlift? Will the small loss of lumbar extension in my squats restrict me from lifting that poundage; does it appear to you that my 'butt-wink' is caused by weak spinal extensors/erectors, flexibility issues, or something else?

I guess I'm going to have to write a fucking "butt-wink" article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I guess I'm going to have to write a fucking "butt-wink" article.
    You can film me - I have it, and also a large ass. It's eminently visible on the small screen.

I'm simply trying to be as finicky as possible in order to learn and ingrain as close-to-perfect form as I possibly can, with these light loads. Obviously, sound form now will allow me to continuously get stronger over time, do so without (or very minor) injury, and allow added strength to carry over into sports and life in general.

I do believe the whole 'butt-wink' concept could be cleared up with a short article. In particular, I'd like to know whether 'butt-wink' is something that ALL humans can eventually overcome and squat completely 'butt-wink' free, similar to the fact that 99% of humans CAN squat to proper depth if they push their damn knees out throughout the squat, etc. (Active Hip 2.0). It seems as if 'butt-wink' sometimes involves BOTH weak muscles and lack of necessary flexibility. However, this thought could be completely incorrect, and said 'butt-wink' article would answer all my questions, as well as the 1000's more posted all over the board.

IF you ever decide to write a 'butt-wink' article, I'd be willing to bet it would be very well received. Thanks for being patient with all of us that simply want to learn and get better; I hope this comes across in my videos/responses.

On a very basic level, do any positives or benefits arise from a ‘butt-wink’? If not, it should be agreed upon and confirmed by you, Rip, that it is a byproduct of some deficiency in either the lifter’s kinesthetic sense, strength, concentration, coordination, or some other aspect of a lifters’ ability to train with a barbell. I get the overwhelming feeling that ‘butt-wink’ is NEVER something desired. Therefore, shouldn’t trainees exhaust all available options and physically work as hard as possible to try and eliminate the movement from their squat altogether?
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 07-18-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: merged two

The term "butt-wink" is CrossFit bullshit, and comes from the impression that it is possible to squat with an apparently motionless lower back. With the weights CrossFitters typically squat, it might be. But a heavy squat will cause some movement in the lumbar spine, and the appearance of the glutes changes as the hips stretch into eccentric flexion. As long as it is not a gross flexion, it is no problem, as anyone with a powerlifting background can attest.

So, your lower back is FINE. STOP WORRYING ABOUT BUTT-WINK AND START WORRYING ABOUT BEING A PUSSY.

If you add a title to your previous post and put it in the resources section, I think you're done with the "butt wink" article.

"butt wink!"

I agree. Not worth an article. But FUCK if I don't hear this every week.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I agree. Not worth an article. But FUCK if I don't hear this every week.
    So you don't want to see a video of my butt-wink then?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast