starting strength gym

Thread: Hips rising too fast on squat

Default Hips rising too fast on squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip, I know this question has been asked before but if you have time to watch the video I would really appreciate any insight you have on my technique. I had to dump the bar forward over my head last night on my 4th rep at 340. I've squatted 413 in competition (less than 5 weeks ago) so I'm hoping this is just a technical problem and not a strength problem.

I filmed these today just to figure out what was going on with my squat, so these aren't work sets from a real session, just a few reps working up to something heavy enough that the form problems appear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDXZaWdo5NI

To me the set at 225 looks okay, it's not perfect but the hips and chest seemed to rise at about the right balance. The 315 set is a nightmare though. The first rep is sort of ok, the second rep is brutal and the third is only marginally better.

What can I do to fix this and do you see any other problems? Sorry for the crappy vid, my training space is small and that's the most of me I could fit in the frame.

Thanks for your time.

I can't see your bar position very well, but I really don't see a huge problem with these squats. When it's heavy it is supposed to feel heavy; something will have to give, and in this case it's a little back angle, but not enough to panic over.

Thanks a lot for checking it out Rip, really appreciate it. Glad to hear that they are decent, hopefully the back angle thing sorts itself out with practice.

I did this set of 5 at 255 today, really tried hard not to lose the back angle at the bottom but it is costing me some depth. Normally I am way deeper than I need to be but these ones look pretty borderline, hopefully it's just the angle. Are these Rip approved? I tried to get a better view of the bar position, at least you can see it when I unrack.

The depth could be better, but you boys don't seem to have read the 8 million posts about hip drive/back angle/chest lifting and shoes.

Just my observation, I'm no expert but I am trying my best to learn. I think your waiting too long to get your knees forward and it seems your sticking your butt out first and I use to do that and I noticed it prevents you from reaching the depth you want (my 2 pence). From what I have learnt, set your knees forward at the top of the squat and sit back/down with your hips, whilst staying in your knees. Your back angle and knee position should be determined 1/3 of the way down. Also I noticed my hips rise faster than my shoulders when I drop my chest, when I am in the bottom position, which causes me to lean forward a little more when I drive with my hips on the way up. Simple cue chest up/chin down. Hope this helps. (: