starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squatting is killing my adductors

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    And what might that be?

Everybody that has mentioned this pain is not very strong. Is it the pain that is keeping them from squatting heavier weights, or is it the things they're doing that do not allow the squat to get strong that are causing the groin pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Everybody that has mentioned this pain is not very strong. Is it the pain that is keeping them from squatting heavier weights, or is it the things they're doing that do not allow the squat to get strong that are causing the groin pain.
    Having head a bunch of minor groin injuries myself after a lifetime of being scrawny and weak, I'm inclined to say option #2. I think in really, really untrained folks the adductors are very sad little bundles of muscle fiber, and actually having to work makes them unhappy for a little while, and then they get used to it, the pain goes away, and you get stronger.

Make sense that it happens in untrained folk like myself and people who previously were not using their adductors until after they were introduced to SS. I'm speculating that before SS I know my quads/back were doing almost all the work because I wasn't squatting efficiently and my adductors were relaxing like ahh! This is the life we will let our big brother quads do all the work, so my quads got stronger while my adductors didn't and because squatting efficiently requires the adductors we can't squat the weight we could normally do with our quads/back alone doing 100% of the work because we have introduced our adductors into the movement to share the workload and they have been laying dormant for all that time and now we want to activate them so, they lagged behind in comparison to the quads and need to catch up for us to get stronger. Best thing to do is reset I found pain doing anything near my 1RM so I will stick with my 5RM for the while steadily increasing the weight until my adductors strengthen hence the SS program. :P

I was priding myself on having gone around 3 years in the gym with no significant injuries, when bham, got hit with severe pain in my left hip/thighs, about 2-3 months earlier. It appears to be a case of hip flexor tendonitis, adductor/groin strain, all at the same time (haven’t seen a doctor about this, yet).

Think what happened was that I had figured out that my bar position was not true low bar and was perhaps, somewhat mid-place between a high bar and a true low bar squat - (I was at around 120 kgs squat – I know, not the greatest weight). So, I decided to download a bit, to around 100 kgs and try true low bar squatting. At the same time, I also thought to increase my Front Squat and got that to around 85 kgs (on TM Recovery Day – been on TM Intermediate for about 6 months or so now). Might have done too much too soon (with the new Low Bar Back Squat position) and/or there was knee travel as I got to the bottom - think both must have contributed.

Initially, continued to Squat and Deadlift. While pain would seemingly go away during squat/deadlift, it would then come back while still in the gym, whenever I applied pressure on the hips at an angle, such as when standing up or just about to sit down. Most times, pain is not noticeable at home/work, but when trying to bring my knees up, after sleeping on my back for a bit etc., or when trying to lift knee to get into the car, sharp pain still results. I have since, also stopped deadlifting, but pain hasn’t gone away fully, (although it has definitely gotten better).

So, a couple of days back, I started deadlifting (a little below my initial max), and also started LBBS with really light weights (20 kgs). Haven't aggravated anything yet...trying really hard to make sure knee travel does not happen at bottom of squat. But this is a really frustrating injury…that has kept me from squatting or deadlifting for nearly 2 months now, (I was and still am, afraid to keep aggravating the same injury).

I apologize for the slightly lengthy post...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    and Option 3, is it the things that they're NOT doing (eating, sleep) that are also not allowing them to squat more weight. This was my problem for the first week an a half. I didn't really believe it for some dumb reason. This stupidity led to a delay in my pussectomy.

It's the weirdest thing: eating more + resting more = lifting more. For a Novice, the goal of lifting is to trigger the recovery and growth response. Once you've triggered it, you have to feed it with food and sleep. It's amazingly simple.

ibbz786
    If you're a SS Novice and lift a 5RM, then I'm 99% sure that YNDTP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123