starting strength gym

Thread: question about leg press

Default question about leg press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    can leg press help for meniscus sergeon rehab?
    my weight lifter friend recommend me leg press.but i am not sure that i think leg press is leave out some muscle and stretch reflex.so I think that is maybe hamful for knee.
    now i am doing just squat,DL,RDL,back Extension with light weight,high reps(squat 60~80kg,DL up to 100kg)
    I just want to clear with your answer.
    Thanks.

I would not pin my feet to a plate and anchor my hips if I were working with a meniscus tear. But that's just me.

BREAKING NEWS: I JUST SQUATTED 315 X 5 PAUSED ON A BOX 1" BELOW PARALLEL ON A HURT MENISCUS. ACTUALLY FEELS BETTER NOW THAN IT HAS ALL WEEK.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 07-22-2011 at 09:47 PM.

My wife tore her ACL and Meniscus a while back. During her rehab, the physical therapist recommended squats. I don't remember at what point during her rehab she started them, but she was doing light full range squats in the office. She asked about leg press and he said absolutely not. Then she asked about leg extensions, he said no one should ever do leg extensions for any reason. She isn't fully there side to side yet, but she is faster than before the injury and can kick a soccer ball way harder than before. It's amazing what some squats can do!

You got lucky with a damned good PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    BREAKING NEWS: I JUST SQUATTED 315 X 5 PAUSED ON A BOX 1" BELOW PARALLEL ON A HURT MENISCUS. ACTUALLY FEELS BETTER NOW THAN IT HAS ALL WEEK.
    Ground down the rough spots, eh?

Did my first set of proper squats, ever, in January, at the age of 50. My knees still creak, but are stronger and more pain-free than they've been in decades. I'm a believer. Big Medicine.

Thank and sorry.I am really sorry your time.I don't fully understand your answer.my english is bad.

you did that squat with box to ensure just 1" below parallel or normal box squat?
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 07-24-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Why can't you guys figure out the quote function?

I used the box so I could sit back and stay out of my knees.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In other news, I had my left medial meniscus removed after a hellacious tear in 2005, and I continued to have significant problems with it until July of last year....that just happened to coincide with the time I started squatting (mostly) right.