starting strength gym

Thread: Article on T-Nation - "Get It Right: The Deadlift"

Default Article on T-Nation - "Get It Right: The Deadlift"

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tim Henriques has an interesting article on the deadlift over on T-Nation, "Get It Right: The Deadlift"

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...t_the_deadlift

Interesting. Exactly what joint/joints do the erectors cross that actively extend during a deadlift?

I think he's saying that spinal extension occurs, since he says:
    Deadlifts involve concentric action (shortening) of the erectors. Disagree? Have a lifter get into deadlift position with a bar at normal deadlift height (8 inches). Take a tape measure and put it at the bottom of the sacrum (the beginning of the thoracolumbar aponeurosis, where the erectors originate). Then go to the base of the neck (C7) and note the distance between the two points.
    But since this is for "most people", it could just be the people doing it wrong...

My apologies, I missed a part of the quote in my previous post and realized just too late, and it's gone to revision. The remainder is...

"Now have the lifter deadlift the bar and hold the weight in the top position. Measure the two points again. The distance will be shorter, usually by 2-4" inches on most people."

If the spine is in flexion, it must be extended, so that would involve the concentric shortening of the erectors. But what aspect of the erector belly extends the hip? What is a deadlift?

To clarify, I know that a properly executed deadlift involves the erectors being use isometrically, that's just what the author was getting at I think.

starting strength coach development program
    Count on body building article authors to royally foul up when attempting to use physics, biomechanics, or the English language. From Merriam-Webster.com: "agonist, noun: a muscle that is controlled by the action of an antagonist with which it is paired." The author uses the word agonist, which is more appropriate in reference to opposing muscle pairs, for the concept of most stressed muscle group. He then claims that the most stressed muscle group is the one performing the movement, an idea which he himself thoroughly discredits with his ab rollout example, unless he is actually claiming that the rectus abdominis extends the shoulder. Surprisingly, despite all his faults his conclusion is basically sound: deadlifts will give you a strong back and traps, and you should do other exercises to strengthen your hip extensors (think low bar below parallel squats).