starting strength gym

Thread: Thoughts on assistance exercises for deadlifts

Default Thoughts on assistance exercises for deadlifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

What are your thoughts on assistance exercises for deadlifts? In my last training cycle I alternated halting deads and rack pulls, but didn't seem to get much out of them- although it's possible I need to accept my mediocrity at the deadlift which is currently stuck at 545 since my bw is down to 185-190(height 5'9, bf is around 9-11% depending on who's measuring).

I'm currently doing 1 set of heavy deads 1x5 or 1x3 on fridays after heavy squats. I though by doing more power snatches and cleans I could somehow break through this sticking point so this is what I do on tuesdays.

I've been including box squats (10x3 or 12x2), RDL's, and wide stance good mornings as assistance exercises but perhaps I'm overlooking something? Perhaps I just need to gain body weight to get that illustrious 600lb pull but I would like to compete in the 181 class in my next meet. Sorry for the novel, but I'm dreaming of 600lbs!

How did you do your haltings and rack pulls?

I alternated haltings and rack pulls like this:
    Cycle 1
    week 1- halting deads 3 work sets 3x5
    Week 2- rack pulls 3 work sets 3x5
    week 3- halting deads 3x3
    week 4- rack pulls 3x3

ran this for 2 cycles. My new cycle includes power snatches alternated with power cleans. I guess I'm just bored. My problem is always off the floor. I never had to use straps for rack pulls (grip is fine with 610x3x3). Only worked up to 405 on haltings...

Maybe I should just push the haltings for 4 weeks and then do another cycle of conventional deads. Or I was contemplating adding volume to the box squats or back squats. Perhaps purchasing a GHR is in order. Just kinda seeking a more experienced opinion :-) .

And maybe if you really want that 600# DL you're going to have to consider a heavier weight class. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by JordanF View Post
    I alternated haltings and rack pulls like this:
    Cycle 1
    week 1- halting deads 3 work sets 3x5
    Week 2- rack pulls 3 work sets 3x5
    week 3- halting deads 3x3
    week 4- rack pulls 3x3

ran this for 2 cycles. My new cycle includes power snatches alternated with power cleans. I guess I'm just bored. My problem is always off the floor. I never had to use straps for rack pulls (grip is fine with 610x3x3). Only worked up to 405 on haltings...
    If your weights are sufficiently heavy, you don't need sets across on either of these pulls, if your double-overhand grip did not fail on the rack pull, the load was not heavy enough. If you only worked up to 405 on haltings, how would that possibly be able to contribute to a 600 DL? Cleans/snatches should be done on the other weekly pulling day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    And maybe if you really want that 600# DL you're going to have to consider a heavier weight class. Just sayin'...

Steve is right.

Thanks for the insight! I wasn't really sure what weight to use on either because I'd never incorporated these into my program. I ramped up each set but I will incorporate 1 set from now on after squats on Friday and continue snatching/cleaning on tuesday. I was using a mixed grip but will push the rack pulls with straps from now on. Any rough estimate what weight I need to rack pull to hit a 600# DL? As far as the haltings I will push those as well. I suppose I could gain the weight necessary for a 600lb pull but that would interfere with other athletic endeavors (motocross mainly), but it's probably the easiest way. Thanks for your responses guys. I'll retry the haltings and rack pulls and see where that takes me. One last thing...any thoughts on how deficit pulls might help? I was going to switch RDL's or good mornings out for these at some point.

starting strength coach development program
    I pulled 633 doing a 625 x 5 on the rack pull from just below the patella. YMMV, as they say on the internet.